Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal knocking/clinking noise front front suspension, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Metal knocking/clinking noise front front suspension, need some help

03 Audi A6 2.7T. So here is the story. Had a loud clicking noise when turning a few months ago. I bought new half shafts so that I can repalce the bad CV joints. Last saturday I repalced the half shafts and put on new rotors and pads, no more clicking noise. Now a few days later whenever I hit a very small bump, or the road is uneven I hear a metal knocking noise. Sounds like something is loose but I checked all the bolts and they seem to be tight. Please advise on what the issue might be. I did have to pop out the control arm bushing when replacing the shafts. Also when I hit the brakes even slightly the knocking noise completly stops. Thanks

Last edited by nitrogen; 07-02-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot to mention info
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 PM
3rd Gear

The fact that the noise stops when you apply your brake indicates that the noise maybe related to the brake job. Did you make sure all the hardware are on correctly including the anti rattle spring?

Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Thanks hxgaser. I just took the wheel off and noticed that the calipers on both wheels are a little loose. I don't remember how they were before but after the brake job should the caliper wobble/or move at all on the rotor?. Also I took the brakes apart again and when I was pushing in the piston I noticed that under the middle of the car, right around the tranny some oil squirted out. Is it possible that I have a hole in a hose somewhere and the piston is not holding position properly? any input is much appreciated.