Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI update / battery discharging

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy MMI update / battery discharging

Hi everybody, I'm new here and not knowing a lot about my car - Audi A6 2006, 2.0 TDI. For a while (couple of years...) I've had this problem of the battery going flat randomly, in a short period of time - a couple of days ago I was sitting in the car with the engine switched off, listening to the radio (normal / low volume), and it went nearly flat in like 30 mins... But more often I notice this overnight, when I try to start the engine the next morning.
I googled about this, and I found some suggestions that an MMI update could solve the problem. A friend of mine who is good at electronics confirmed that this could in fact be true, that a relay might not be working as it should, due to some faults at a logical level, and it could discharge the battery fast (although I can't imagine what device would be able to suck all the power that fast). Anyhow, I tried finding and updating the MMI, without success. I found a version on 3 CDs, but when I tried to update I get an error message saying "Parse error in metainfo.txt in line 2269". Now I have no idea what that means; it could be the wrong version update file. So I went back and tried to find another update for my version which is:
Interface 0x100, CD 0x101, Amp 0x102, Gateway 0x0103, obviously without any luck.
My current version (as I understand) is MMI basic (low) monochrome, with CD/Radio and CD Changer (x6). Again, I read that the updates should be done in multiple steps, going from a lower version to an upper one, but I have no idea where to start.
Could anyone please, please help? Thank you.
PS. Sorry for the lenght of this post, but I tried to give as much information as I can...

Last edited by niculescuvro; 11-03-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

The local Audi dealer told me that they can not sell me any update CDs, and that they will check whether there is any available for me. But I already know the answer: there won't be any...:-( So please, anyone, any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

Have you had a chance to check the battery itself? If you are still running on the original it is now 7 years old and past it's expiration date. Possibly it just can't hold the charge very long.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
Have you had a chance to check the battery itself? If you are still running on the original it is now 7 years old and past it's expiration date. Possibly it just can't hold the charge very long.
I've had the battery replaced about 6 months ago by a garage. But I remember having the same problem long before I've replaced it anyway, so I don't think it's just a simple problem of an incompatible or not coded battery. Audi dealers confirmed to me today that the battery is actually OK, they discovered a power surge, but they couldn't tell where it came from yet. Nothing about an MMI update, and I don't think they will do anything about it anyway.
Thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

You need to get yourself a decent multimeter and begin to do a parasitic draw test on your electrical system. If you suspect it to be MMI related, pull that fuse first when performing the test to cut to the chase fast. If that doesn't cause a drop in amperage on your multimeter when doing the test, then begin pulling the other fuses in a systematic fashion until you find the culprit. This could be fairly time consuming but it will still be better than having the dealer or decent shop doing this for several hundred dollars.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
You need to get yourself a decent multimeter and begin to do a parasitic draw test on your electrical system. If you suspect it to be MMI related, pull that fuse first when performing the test to cut to the chase fast. If that doesn't cause a drop in amperage on your multimeter when doing the test, then begin pulling the other fuses in a systematic fashion until you find the culprit. This could be fairly time consuming but it will still be better than having the dealer or decent shop doing this for several hundred dollars.
Hi, the only problem is that it does seem to happen randomly (once a week maybe), so there are big chances that at the time I will do the test you described, the surge won't occur, hence I won't detect anything... Thanks.