Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multitronic with Diesel engine. Is this a safe bet because of the high torque values?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:21 PM
JDV
Default Multitronic with Diesel engine. Is this a safe bet because of the high torque values?

Last December Audi announced the release of the new A6 with a 2.0 TDI engine (140 Hp and 320 Nm) and Multitronic automatic tranny.

Dealers in Madrid, Spain have told me that a few units have been actually produced but Audi had to halt production because of an unspecified technical issue.

I have searched the web and found the following:

> The multitronicĀ® is a continuously variable transmission with a steel link-plate chain running in tension in an oil bath between two pairs of bevel wheels of variable diameter. It can transmit torque of up to 310 Nm - a worldfirst for this kind of transmission.
> Multitronic was first released in 1999 on an Audi A6 2.8 delivering 193 HP and max torque of 280 Nm.
> The history of success for Multitronic goes on. Audi is testing already Multitronic units that transmit torques of up to 400 Nm
> Have found tests by independent parties that show the 2.0 TDI engine deliver 154 - 155 HP and torques as high as 363 Nm.

Based on the above:

> One wonders if Audi had to halt production of this model because the Multitronic trannies fitted could not withstand the high torque values of 320 Nm or even 363 Nm that the engine has been checked to deliver
> It could be that Audi is completing the tests that will allow them to fit the new Multitronic tranny that can withstand up to 400 Nm...
> ... or else could be that Audi will limit the max torque of the 2.0 TDI engines that fit in the A6 with Multitronic to a max value of 310 Nm or 320 Nm, but avoiding any higher values such as the 363 Nm measured on the bench by independent parties.
> If the latter is the case the car will be much much lazier when for example overtaking than the same 2.0 TDI equipped with a manual tranny.

I intended to buy this car as soon as Audi releases it again in June, but in view of the above I wonder if this is a safe or interesting bet at all.

I will appreciate any information - is Audi about to launch the 400 Nm Multitronic ?- or advice on the subject.

JDV

Old 04-03-2005, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Multitronic with Diesel engine. Is this a safe bet because of the high torque values?

You have more info than I have.

Consider the common situation with any newly introduced model: Most manufacturers' first new model year vehicles are plagued usually with minor issues that need to be resolved. These issues typically take one to two model years before the vehicle is "as intended". Example: Audi B5 S4. Introduced late 1999 to American market. F-hose and turbo oil lines resolved by 2001.5.