Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my brake light keep flashing anyone know why ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 AM
1st Gear
Cool my brake light keep flashing anyone know why ?

My a6 has a solid abs light on and the brake light keep flashing the brake seem fine I check the brake fluid and it fine my rear brake pad seem low I am going to change that soon but I don't think that what setting off my brake light to keep flashing anyone know why ?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

Without consulting my manual, I believe this means your ABS has failed so your car is telling you your brakes may be "unsafe". The brakes are probably fine, but you have lost your ABS/ESP and that could be dangerous. You can get your ABS rebuilt through www.modulemasters.com (there are other companies). You can also drive the car with the ABS removed.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

How do I know for sure it the abs and no something else ? If the abs fail would just the abs light be on ?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear

There is a separate sensor for brake pads, but the sensor is only on the front brake pads which generally wear faster. A solid ABS icon means the car found a problem with your ABS. Pulling the codes may help us help you. Since ABS works by applying the brakes when the car loses traction, I think it also flashes the brake icon to let you know that your brakes are not at 100% because of the ABS problem.

I pulled out my manual. It says if only the ABS light is on, there is a problem with the ABS. If the ABS and brake warning lights both are on, there is a problem with the ABS and "you will notice a change in braking characteristics and performance". It goes on to state you could experience rear wheel lock-up in the absence of ABS.

In the section under ESP, it states "Since the ESP system works together with the ABS system, the ESP indicator light will also come on if the ABS stops operating".

If you send me an email at jjaiven@chartermi.net, I can scan and email back the pages from the manual.

Last edited by ppgoal; 03-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

So how do I know exactly what the problem or what parts need replacing I don't want to go replacing parts unless I am sure it need replacing. my brakes so far working normal I have not notice any change .

Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

Since you don't seem to know much about the ABS, I suggest taking it to a shop that specializes in brake systems. As far as pedal feel, there won't be much difference under normal conditions. One way to test them is to find a slippery road (ice or sand) and slam on the brakes. If the ABS is working it won't skid. If they are not working, you will lock up and slide. Just don't go off the road during your test.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

Most shop say they can not test it cause they don't have the software to hook it up I have to take it to the dealer and I don't want to spend the money taken to the dealer. Anyone ever had this problem and what part you had to replace ?

Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

I'll give you the benefit of my experience one last time and then go silent. The dealer will want to charge you a couple hours at $125-150/hr to remove and re-install the ABS, and will also want to sell you a new one for $900-1200. You need to find a local shop that is capable of removing the ABS, which I understand is a relatively simple job. The car is still driveable without it. You should visit www.modulemasters.com and read up on the process and costs for sending them the ABS module. When they return it, you take it back to the shop and they re-install it and all should be fine.

Disclaimer: Your problem may not be the ABS, but you are getting free advice based on the symptoms you described. If you want 100% accurate advice, you need to pay some money to a mechanic, preferably one who knows something about Audis or at least German performance cars.

Good luck!!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

I had this same issue with my Audi 2.8 quattro(2001)...After i had my front shocks changed, my brake light and ABS light came on simultaneously. I noticed that the car performance changed especially the breaking capability. It became a bit looser. I couldn't do 60 mph and brake on a dime like i use to and it would lock up and slide on slippery conditions. Long story short, the brake light eventually went off and i took the car to the audi dealer with regards to the ABS light. (many shops told me they did not have the equipment to test it) . The audi dealer said something about my sensor being dusty or not restructured properly when the shocks where changed. When i got my car back the ABS light was off. My brake pads are at medium life because my car isnt braking like it use to . It's an 01 but i am just getting to 100,000 miles ...changed the timing belt at 90,000

Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Do you know what sensor there were taking about and did you had it replace ? Anyone else ever had this problem ?

Quick Reply: my brake light keep flashing anyone know why ?