Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

T.b.h it's more of a pain to get the car jacked up level and high enough so that you can get under it than it is to do the fluid change. $70 is an awesome price!
It's pretty easy to find out what type of fluid you have, if you don't mind getting dirty.
Just jack the front end up enough so you can get under to the tranny pan. Undo the side, leveling bolt and let a little of the fluid drain into something clear. Just enough to see the colour of it.
The pan does drop straight down, but the pan does not hold the 6 to 8 quarts.
You have to jack the car up level, warm it up, stop the motor, drain it, drop the pan and change the filter/clean the pan out.

Bolt the pan back on, remove the side plug from the tranny pan, start the motor and quickly pump approximately the same amount of fluid in that you removed.

Put the plug back in the tranny pan and let the fluid warm up.

Now remove the side bolt again (with the motor running!) and see if any of the fluid comes back out. If none comes out, add more until it just slightly drips from the hole if it runs out, only put the bolt back in when it is to a slight drip.

Devil, thanks for the Wal-Mart tip! I too would have never thought to look there. Home made our eBay would have been my thoughts.

Last edited by Brityank; 08-23-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

With the engine running?!?! Im comfortable doing pretty much any repairs on any vehicles. But this seems like something that needs to be done on a lift. I have some nice jackstands but after being nearly killed by a Ford Mustang, the shop is gonna get the trans service. My current issue :cant get the cruise control to work! Its driving me nuts! Everything checks out. All lines and connections are good. Im suspecting the unit itself is bad. Any troubleshooting info?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

A vag.com reader might clue you in on the cruise control.

The motor had to be running for the tranny service because the tranny has to be moving the fluid around for it to stay in the tranny and pan at the correct level. If it isn't running, the fluid Erik all just run out and you will be 4 to 6 quarts under what's needed.