Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Need HELP ASAP!

Okay, so, I'm in the middle of a clutch job on my 2000 Audi A6 2.7t 6 Speed Quattro, and I'm stuck on removing the main driveshaft. I have read on different forums that to remove the prop shaft from the back of the trans, you simply remove the allen bolts around the flange and loosen the flange and it should drop away. Well, I removed all the allen bolts, got the flange loose, removed the center support bearing bracket to give some extra room for the shaft to move around, and when I start to remove the shaft out of the transmission it is free, but won't come out all the way. There is a section of the shaft protruding into the transmission and I don't have enough play in the shaft (front to back) to pull it out far enough to clear the transmission and move out of the way.
My next move will be to remove the allen bolts on the rear differential end of the shaft and try to pull it out on that end and see if that works, but I'm afraid once I do that, it will be the same setup (with a section of the shaft protruding too far into the rear diff) and that I won't have enough space to pull it out on that end either...

Doesn't make sense, there's simply not enough room sliding the drive shaft forward and backward to get it to clear the trans...

Any direction would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks,
Shane