Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help please!! Windows, sunroof, inner lights don't work!! Whats the problem???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Default Need help please!! Windows, sunroof, inner lights don't work!! Whats the problem???

(1999 AUDI A6 QUATTRO) My windows will not roll down, inner lights do not work, sunroof doesnt work, inner door locks do not work and alarm will not set. What is the issue? What do I need to check for? PLEASE HELP. I am clueless!

Thanks

Grant

Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Moved for better response.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
Moved for better response.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by gjcgjc13
(1999 AUDI A6 QUATTRO) My windows will not roll down, inner lights do not work, sunroof doesnt work, inner door locks do not work and alarm will not set. What is the issue? What do I need to check for? PLEASE HELP. I am clueless!
Okay, have you checked fuses? When did it start happening, was it all together randomly one day? Were you doing something? What on the car still works?

Old 08-01-2010, 02:00 AM

i have checked the fuses and they look good. it just happened a few days ago while i was driving. the windows will not roll up or down, the sunroof will not go back and forth, the inner lights and locks do not work. They all went out at the same time. The radio, air, auto heated seats still work and everything on the outside works (lights, locks etc). I dont think a fuse controls all of that, what do you think? Could it be on the relay board or a circuit breaker? If either, where are they located on the car to check?

thanks

Old 08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

did you have any heavy rains around the time they quit working? Have you in the near past had any water around the drivers floor? I would pull up your carpet in front of the drivers seat and take a look at your interior control module it is in a black plastic box under the carpet in front of the drivers seat. if there is any water around the box or in it get it dried out right away.

The flood car I bought for my daughter had the exact same symptoms and what I found was the water had gotten into the ICM and caused it to fail after replacement I still had the exact same symptoms as you are experiencing the power windows wouldnt work nor the sunroof or the interior lights. after much searching I found that there are butt splices located inside of the main wiring harness which runs along both driver and passenger door sills and under the front seats. these splices have a rubber boot on them that will hold water if it gets into the car. then the wires corrode off and things stop working. The ones I found that were bad were inside of the Harness along the front drivers door and one in the harness under the drivers seat but there are others located in the harness on the passengers side in the same locations.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Default ""

I have to rip the carpet up in order to get to the ICM? If that is in fact the problem, how much would it cost to replace and how did you fix your problem?

thanks

grant

Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by padog
did you have any heavy rains around the time they quit working? Have you in the near past had any water around the drivers floor? I would pull up your carpet in front of the drivers seat and take a look at your interior control module it is in a black plastic box under the carpet in front of the drivers seat. if there is any water around the box or in it get it dried out right away.

The flood car I bought for my daughter had the exact same symptoms and what I found was the water had gotten into the ICM and caused it to fail after replacement I still had the exact same symptoms as you are experiencing the power windows wouldnt work nor the sunroof or the interior lights. after much searching I found that there are butt splices located inside of the main wiring harness which runs along both driver and passenger door sills and under the front seats. these splices have a rubber boot on them that will hold water if it gets into the car. then the wires corrode off and things stop working. The ones I found that were bad were inside of the Harness along the front drivers door and one in the harness under the drivers seat but there are others located in the harness on the passengers side in the same locations.

Hope this helps.
I agree. Usually I find a broken wire, right at the butt connector about 6 inches into the harness in front of the plastic box, under the drivers carpet. There are 2 wires running into one side of the butt connector, and a single wire on the other end. Second most common is water in the module.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

Are you positive you checked ALL the fuses? My car has like 35 diffrent little fuses ( Majority of them in the door well and 4 of them under the hood) and ONE fuse controled my auto door locks, sunroof, fuel gauge, oil temp gauge and auto windows. I changed that ONE fuse...a blue #15 fuse and everything worked.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 AM

OMG, I feel like such an idiot!! I just checked the similar fuse (#15 blue) and it was fine. I then went back to the manual (for the 5th time) to check all the controlls for the fuses and one struck my eye. In the manual one fuse (#14-10 amp) states it controlls interior lights, reading lights, anti-theft alarm, vanity mirror and seat memory (nothing about interior locks, sunroof, windows etc). I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. Lucky enough I had a back up fuse in the reserve compartment, replaced it and sure enough the interior lights went on, sunroof, door locks and windows came alive!! I am so thrilled that was the only issue!

Thank all you guys for the help.

note: i wish the owners manual was more clear on what the fuses actually control since it didn't reference on what controls the windows, door locks, sunroof etc.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Me Too

Thanks for posting the follow up. That solved my problem too.

A few more details... I have a 2000 Audi A6. All of my windows were down and did not respond to switch to come back up. The console door indicator showed all of my doors and trunk were open. I didn't solve this problem right away, and was not aware that my battery was draining during this time. My 6 month old battery was reading 2 volts, which needless to say will now need replacement.

Reading your note, I found that the #14 fuse was also blown on mine. It supposedly is the "dome light". As the windows are not on fuses, but rather front and back circuit breakers located under the steering column, this had lead me in the wrong direction. Replacing the #14 dome light fuse fixed everything. Now I just need to buy a new battery.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Need help please!! Windows, sunroof, inner lights don't work!! Whats the problem???