Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:47 AM
1st Gear
Default New A6 owner

Hello all,
Purchased my first A6 2.7biturbo quattro about 2 months ago. Pretty high miles around 170k but everything seems to run great. The previous owner said he had the timing changed about 20k miles ago but had no documentation on it. I am a little worried that he might not be telling the truth was curious if there was any way i could check or verify this. Also any way to check on the condition of the turbos or any signs i should be looking for that they may be about to go? I read over the tips and suggestions on things to check, and ill be going over my car tomorrow. Thanks for the advice in advance. Oh, also looking to replace the airbox with an intake. Last few cars i had was simple remove the all the clutter and airbox and filter etc and just bolt on a cone filter to aluminium piping. However there seems to be a ton of sensors attach to the top of the airbox. can someone explain these and give me an idea of the route i should take to adding an intake? Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails New A6 owner-2014-06-13-13.56.23.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

Unfortunately, there is really no good way to check the TB. The job should have also included the water pump, t-stat, and all tensioners plus fluid. It's about a $1000-1100 job from an indie garage. He could not produce a receipt? I sure kept BOTH of mine - now at 231k.

Suggest you not mess with the air intake. Most of what I read on this forum indicates it is optimized already and there are not big gains to be had. If you go with a K&N, make sure to drain the oil well because it tends to foul the MAF otherwise. One way to gain some power is to replace the front cats with piggy pipes, which also lets the engine run cooler. Honestly, at 170k I would not start going for performance. It is really a luxury touring car and too heavy to be a sprinter. If you take that approach with it's age, you'll break expensive stuff.

Do a search for "leaking turbos" and you will find advice on how to check them. The sign of gradual failing is leaking. By the time they start whining like a dentist drill, they are on their way out. Also, read the sticky for the new owner in this section.