Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, questions about replacing turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM
1st Gear
Default New here, questions about replacing turbos

I have an 01 A6 2.7 and it is spitting oil out of the turbos. Turbos either have to be rebuilt or replaced. I had a few questions before I start.

What are somethings to look out for when swapping turbos? Things that may be specific to an Audi.

Are there any special tools required?

From what I am seeing, it looks like the whole motor has to be pulled to swap the turbos. Is there any other common problems that could be addressed while I have it out?

Is there a way to remove the turbos WITHOUT pulling the motor?

Has someone posted a walkthrough for doing something like this? I used the search function, but I didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

1. Getting compatible replacement turbos is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you aren't getting "made in china" junk and you should be find. Oil return lines should probably be replaced too. a lot of the turbo kits you can get will include everything that needs to be replaced. from there it is pretty much just "plug and play"

2. I've found, in my limited audi wrenching experience, even when the special tools are called for, they are rarely required. I don't think there is anything with replacing the turbos that calls for a required specialty tool

3. If you are doing all the work to do the turbos, you may as well do all the other common "issues" including, but certainly not limited to, breather system, valve cover gaskets (check the cam chain tensioners while you are at it), timing service with new water pump and thermostat, cam seals, crank seal, cam caps, half moon gaskets, auxiliary coolant pump (replace or delete), consider upgrading the turbos (requires the ECU to be retuned).

4. If there is a way to remove the turbos without pulling the motor, it hasn't been discovered yet ;-)

6. I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete walkthrough. You should be able to piece most of it together from various DIYs. It isn't really "difficult". It is a PITA with the all bolts, connectors, tubes, hoses, wires, more bolts....that need to removed and kept track of. I've seen a few youtube videos where they speed it up a lot to get the job done. I think that might be helpful

good luck

maybe you can be the guy that provides the Audiforums definitive DIY for pulling the 2.7T

Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for that info. Looking at the way this is all set up, I couldn't really see a way around a motor pull right away but I figured I'd ask the people that would know. I know most vehicles have certain problems that seem to occur more commonly than in other cars. Ford has their coolant tube, Chrysler has their parking lockout... etc. I usually try to nip those things in the bud while I'm that deep into something.

Again, thanks for the info!!