Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Post - 2001 A6 2.7T

Old 04-19-2014, 01:42 AM
1st Gear
Smile New Member Post - 2001 A6 2.7T

Just signed on to see what is happening here. There is some info for those interested. Just bought this two weeks ago and had it checked out - no issues worthy of fixing. A couple of very minor ones. No oil on the ground.

2001 Audi A6 2.7T with 218,000 miles on it. I was not going to buy a high milage Audi but I made the mistake of starting it and then driving it because the engine sounds like it was new. I runs perfect and is quite fast. Love the 6 speed which is quite rare.

Found the maintenance records and past owner. No major engine work outside of timing belt, water pump and aux water pump. Original turbos. Been on Mobil One all its life. I did replace the front struts/shocks and will do the back soon. Too much float on the old ones.

I have owned a few audis before: Audi Foxes, Audi 93 V8 Quattro, and A8. This one is the most fun and it gets great mileage as well. Taking it to San Diego soon.

Well guess that is enough. Cheers

Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear

This is comforting to hear that you have an older 2.7T with more miles than my 03 with about 137,000 miles on it and you're still on the stock turbos. For us 2.7T guys, it's a big fork in the road when a turbo goes. You can either get rid of it, or turn it into a project car and go nuts since you pretty much have to pull the engine out anyway.

I've heard speculation that you can pull the turbos without pulling the engine, but I can't see that being possible with so little room on either side of the engine. Even after dropping the suspension.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

Hi Nebuchadnezzar,

One of the reasons I posted the information on my high mileage was to show it is possible to have an A6 go great distance without major catastrophes. No one can guarantee the turbos will go that long or how much longer mine will hold together. My car was evidently built on a good day and was well taken care; it was driven reasonably and it was not chipped putting more pressure on things. Each to his own but 0-60 in 6 seconds (6 speed) is good enough for me.

This is how I look at it. I am driving around in a $42,000 sports car and I have $5000.00 in it so far. It was Road and Tracks #1 car of the year in 2001. Where else can you get this kind of comfort, performance and mileage for that kind of money. There is no car to replace this car. The 2.7T is history and the 3.0T costs an arm and a leg and does not get this kind of mileage.

I could discard this car and lose less than someone who buys a new one and drives it around the block. I can replace it for another $5000.00-$7000.00. However, even if I put a significant sum into this car to replace the turbos or whatever, it will never cost me $42,000 and I am driving something that cannot be replaced by anything I see out there today and it will have new major parts.
I gave up doing this work myself years ago and attach myself to the best German repair center in my area.

Good luck with yours, these are awesome cars.