Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Headlights - Relay? Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation No Headlights - Relay? Switch?

Got a 2002 A6 3.0 that the other night both headlights stopped working. Took it to a low budget shop around the corner because I am really tight on the coin (I know, who isn't). They just couldn't figure it out.

No other issues with lighting or other devices. Hi-Beams - Fog Lights and turn signals all are great. I had no issues in the past and after basic examination the bulbs look good and the guys from the shop who looked it said the same.

I know the 387 Relay is for the warning indicator - and when I am in gear that indicator shows up on the dash. Looks like a blub with a line through it.

Could this be a need for a replacement switch, or is there a different relay between the switch and lights that might have gone bad? I have seen this part - STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RY895 More Info Intermotor HEADLIGHT RELAY. I would assume it is different from the warning indicator relay (more expensive as well).

I am trying to avoid the Audi Dealer as we know they will charge you an hour labor just to hook a VAG-COM up and look at it.

Any ideas or input where I might be able to get this corrected myself would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

I am having the same problem with my 2005 A8L. No headlights at all. Everything else is working fine (parking light, turning lights, passing lights, etc. I have changed the bulbs, ignitor, ballasts on both. I'm searching for an answer as well.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure on the 2002 but on early models the problem was often with the multifunction switch on the column. I had a 1995 S6 which had the same problem. I had to drive from CT to NJ one night pulling on the flash-to-pass switch the whole way to get headlights. Bought a used multifunction module, pulled the steering wheel and replaced the switch and all was well.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

Ok, i am going to try that before i sink the $$ money for 2 new headlamp assembly's. It sounds like it is pretty easy to replace so i will try it. Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Headlight switch dial

This model has a switch Dial on the left side of the dash. The Stalk switch is for the turning and Hi Beam switch. That appears to work fine. Hi Beams are working. Part wise I see you can get a replacement dial or there is relay for the headlights that can range from 80-120 USD. What I can not seem to find is the diagram on where you plug that into if I get it.

I am ordering a replacement dial that is used for like 25.00 for now. Should have it Thursday or Friday. Guess I will be taking the train to work until then.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

I used bought a 1996 A4 2.8 V6 and my headlights have stopped working all of a sudden this morning, checked them tonight worked for a minute shut the car off turned it back on and nothing. The rest of the lights are working fine. Does anyone have an idea and where are the relays for this.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Fixed

This is what I can tell everyone. 2002 A6 3.0 - No relay. Just the switch and the fuses and the wiring. In my case I had a short and needed to be re-wired. This was from the Audi Dealer. I did buy a headlight relay, but it was only for the dashboard indicator. Well, I knew that was working because it was telling me I had no headlights.

It end costing like 300.

Now I just have a transmission issue!!! I am sure it is the standard Torque Converter issues.

Good Luck.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM
1st Gear
Default low beam

This may be a dumb question, but how do you know if the wiring is the culprit. (and if you have a short?) I believe that is what is causing my problem. Both low beam bulbs are no longer working at all. The parking lights and passing lights are both functional. So power is getting to the headlamp. But after replacing the headlamp assembly the lowbeams are still now working. Do you think wiring is the issue here?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

The problem with the 1996 is probably the multifunction switch on the column. The headlight contacts get deposits of carbon from use and eventually do not make good contact. If you get high beams when you pull the lever towards you then that is the problem. Get a new or used switch, pull the steering wheel and replace it. The URs forums on Quattroworld has some do-it yourself info on repairing the switch, I did that but it was only temporary. Once I had to drive 150 miles holding the switch in the pass-to-flash mode to see where I was going.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Administrator

DIY for switch repair on the B5 is also here in our DIY forum.

Quick Reply: No Headlights - Relay? Switch?