Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/2 sensor(s) failed(A6,2.8,quattro)emission test help

Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Default O/2 sensor(s) failed(A6,2.8,quattro)emission test help

Help please! I need an advice on my 2000 A6 2.8 quattro,(245K)failed emissions test in Ontario,for CO% on 2500RPM.Limit 0.70 and reading is 1.89.on idle is 0.04 reading.HC ppm`s OK,Dilution is valid.Now,check engine light is on and the codes(6) are as follow:
1114-Bank1-sensor2-Internal resistant to high
1118-O2 Sensor Heater circuit Bank1 sensor2 open
1122-O2 sensor Heater Circuit Bank2 sensor2 open
1140-Bank2-sensor2-Internal resistance too high
P0138-O2 sensor Circ.bank1-sensor2-high voltage
p0160-O2 sensor Circ.bank2-sensor2-no activity detected
Car is running OK only is shaking a bit when idling in drive(traffic light stop etc.)
When I bought car previous owner told me that he cleaned cats.!!???and I see clamps after cats.What could be a problem.I`ve never seen so many o2 fault codes on a car.Do you think it`s wiring problem as he maybe did not recconect O2s properly when he put cats back after cleaning!!!????Any help would be appreciated.Thank you!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

That really sucks ...i took my car to get inspected and i failed also...for the OBD2 computer. They said its not even reading into there system! All i can think about is all the money i have to spend to fix it! or just pay someone for a sticker like other people do. My car is not running weird either so i'm not sure what is myself!!

Last edited by Princess G; 09-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear

Both of you need to get a VAGCom cable ($10 -$15 on eBay) and the free software from Ross Tech. You'll need a lap top or computer that is close to the vehicle. Connect to the car and look at the codes. Then clear them and see what comes back before going any further.

vgunjak -- Sorry but I never heard of "cleaning the cats" (My wife tried to give our cat a bath once and it was a disaster.) so I can't comment on that, but I wonder if the CEL was on when you bought i or if it is a recent thing.

Princess - not all OBD2's read Audi codes well so it is best to use VagCom. If you have an aftermarket radio you might need to pull the fuse before you can read the codes.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Yeah,I have pretty good reader(MAC tools)I cleared codes it was 6 and they all are back as soon as I drive the car.All the same codes.I bought car just like 10 days ago and CEL was on.Thank you!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 PM
2nd Gear

OP, sounds like either the cats are shot, "cleaning" them destroyed the rear 02 sensors, or they're just bad.

Princess, is your ABS light on? If so, then no ECU problems.

Nice little joke there NH, LOL.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

2001A-6 ....As a matter of fact my abs light is on! How do u know ? Did u have the same problem??

NH ....i dont have an after market radio. The only thing i ever did different was having the second fog in the back connected . Would that mess with it?

Thanks

Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by vgunjak
Yeah,I have pretty good reader(MAC tools)I cleared codes it was 6 and they all are back as soon as I drive the car.All the same codes.I bought car just like 10 days ago and CEL was on.Thank you!

standard OBD2 readers only give part of the info if at all on an AUdi -- VagCom is the only was to be sure your seeing it all correctly

as 2001A6 says it sounds as if the cats are dead ( I wonder if he drowned then during the wash cycle) and the O2 sensors are toast. I would start by replacing the O2 sensors and but expect to be doing the cats. I got a new Audi cat for a 95 A6 from Force Five at a significant saving but if your in a real pinch you might consider used cats - as usual your taking a risk by going used.

I hope you didn't buy a "pig in a poke" and pay too much for the vehiclce because your looking a spending a few bucks.

PS look at the posts about using generic O2 sensors and changing the connectors - you'll save some money.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Princess G
2001A-6 ....As a matter of fact my abs light is on! How do u know ? Did u have the same problem??

NH ....i dont have an after market radio. The only thing i ever did different was having the second fog in the back connected . Would that mess with it?

Thanks
The light will not make a difference - but usually the fuse to an aftermarket radio needs to be pulled for a CEL scanner to work.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

vgunjak,

With all the high resistance, open sensor and no-activities, all on sensor 2's of both banks, it would not surprise me to find the wires to the rear O2 sensors disconnected or damaged. Considering these are just after the "cleaned" cats...

I would start by inspecting the wires, but plan on replacing the rear O2 sensors. (At least.)

If you are going to own an Audi (or VW) you should have something that reads REAL VAG codes. Not an OBD2 reader. VAG com from Ross-Tech is one of the better ones for non-professionals.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Thank you Mike!!Just got back home,you are right,wires are damaged on rear O2s,but also wire is cut on the back of the engine(hope is not from front O2 sensors).I need to find wiring diagram for my cars O2 sensors as my mechanic does not have it.Any ideas?Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O/2 sensor(s) failed(A6,2.8,quattro)emission test help