Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outer Tie Rod Removal Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Outer Tie Rod Removal Problems

2000 A6 Quattro 2.7T base - Cannot get Tie Rod Ends Out Pinch Knuckle

1 Big issue is that everything I've seen as far as a write up shows the pinch bolt being a separate bolt that comes out of the knuckle. On my car the "pinch bolt" is actually part of the knuckle and nothing protrudes from the back side, it appears to be part of the knuckle.

What I've done so far:
1. Jacked the lower control arms so the suspension is sitting similar to how it would be if the wheels were on & car wasn't jacked up.

2. PB blaster soaked for 5 days now

3. Pried pinch knuckle SLIGHTLY wider. Wouldn't budge before I pried them so it didn't effect it coming out.

4. Tried moving inner part around with a 10mm Allen (twisting it) to assist in breaking it free.

5. I'm putting in new outer tie rod end so I don't care if I destroy the old ones as long as the old ones come off!

The passenger side is 75% out and the driver is 20% out. Can't seem to get both of them to budge past a certain point. Am I doing something wrong or does it just need some serious persuasion to get out. I've been at it with a Tie Rod End puller, BFH & a pry bar.

Thanks ahead!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Sponsor

Its kind of difficult to get an idea of what you mean. If you can post some pictures up of what you have going it I would be able to help you a lot more.

Jason

Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not really sure either of how this looks now or how to help you out. However I can tell you that I had the same problem with me TRE on the driver's side only. The passenger side was so easy it scared me but the drivers sided kicked my butt.
I tried all kinds of things - pb blaster, heating it up (to expand the connection), welding a piece a metal onto it so I have a better grip to break it free, etc. Nothing helped so I cut into the connection for the inner tie rod and removed it too. So I ended up replacing the inner and outer for the driver's side.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Figgured The issue out

Realized that the stud sticking out of the steering knuckle (facing you ) wasn't part of the knuckle, its a bolt that's shaped like a "D" on the head (the part behind the knuckle you can't see) and fits into the back of the knuckle. I don't have an air chisel and a BFH isn't getting this bolt out, so to prevent further damage to the bolt I'm just taking it to an alignment shop who said they'd switch'em out for $125 including the alignment.

Damn Chicago road salt!