Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner of a new 2000 A6 Avant... A few maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Owner of a new 2000 A6 Avant... A few maintenance questions

I just purchased a 2000 A6 Avant with the 2.8L V6 and 5-Speed TipTronic automatic transmission. It has 119k miles on it. I owned a 1987 5000S a few years back (5-Speed manual) and loved the thing (sold it running strong at over 300k miles).

A few questions on the A6:

-The previous owner had it since 30k miles and has performed every recommended maintenance at the dealership, including timing belt and water pump at 90k miles. I asked him if the transmission fluid was changed yet and he said the dealership said it was lifetime lubed. I've had American cars that have had this "feature" and still needed a transmission fluid change. Should I change the fluid on the Audi?

-When accelerating at a normal speed from a stop, there is a bit of a lurch. It's not the transition from first to second, that occurs just after the lurch. If I turn while accelerating from a stop, the lurch is not there. If I accelerate hard, the lurch is not there. Is this a transmission issue or is something normal with a car of this age such as slack pick-up in the Quattro system?

-Any maintenance I should perform that is not included in the recommended maintenance?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

The answer is a most definitely and absolute YES. Audi says its not required because its a long life fluid but this isn't true. Audi do not do any work on transmissions and would rather avoid any work of this nature. Well here is a link with all that you need to help you change the fluid, filter and gasket: http://www.ehow.com/how_5000414_chan...i-quattro.html

You will need a high quality fully synthetic transmission fluid preferably from Esso (original fluid used by ZF) however, there are other brands such as Castrol or Mobil 1. Do not bother buying the fluid from Audi, they will ripp you off ($52 per litre) and they say you will need 9 liters (not true). The filter and gasket can be purchased on eBay or from Blauparts. Good luck with it all. You may as well change the differential gear oils while you are at it.

Last edited by OscarA6C5quattro; 01-01-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

I just got a 2000 Audi TT and i have not manual. I need help with changing the milage from kiliwatts to miles. Also the screen that displays oil and temp is hard to read how do i fix that?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Since i don't have a manual how to i get my stereo out of safe mode because i put a new battery in and now my radio don't work, I know i need the code which was in the manual.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by Lawyergurl666
I just got a 2000 Audi TT and i have not manual. I need help with changing the milage from kiliwatts to miles. Also the screen that displays oil and temp is hard to read how do i fix that?
Kool! Killwatts to miles. Translation: changing "kilometers per hour" and "kilometers" to "miles per hour" and "miles." (Don't mind me, I can't speak English that well either, and I'm from Brooklyn.

The LCD displays Audi used back in 2000, across the board, suffer from this problem. Do a web search and you will find that you can pull the instrument from the dash and send it out for a replacement LCD screen for under $200.00.

There is no Audi customer quality assurance or satisfaction program to support its customer base with this issue.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

ModuleMaster does lcd rebuild services for our A6 instrument clusters. You would have to take it out and mail it to them. They fix it in about 2 business days and mail it back to you. You wont be able to drive your vehicle while the cluster is out due to a security feature in the cluster. Good luck