Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0491 - options and advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default P0491 - options and advice?

In addition to the P0421 and P0431 I have been getting before and after replacing the cats last fall, in April I started popping a P0491. On startup in colder weather, it sounds like shaking gravel in a can for about 30 seconds. I have not noticed it in warmer (> 70°) weather. I have been regularly clearing the CELs, but they come back within 20-250 miles. What to do?

The car is in excellent shape with 206k miles. Original turbos, most of the oe power train, shocks, even battery. Pretty loud whining out of the power steering (bearing?) for about 50k miles now. Honestly, I still love the car and plan to keep it another 50-100k. Day dreaming about an off-lease 2012 S4 in about three years.

What is the downside of running it with a bad SAIU? I live in MI, so no emissions test. Will it affect gas mileage or cause other problems? How tough is it to change the hoses (on the off chance it's a broken hose, but I doubt it) and does anyone have a DIY?

Other suggestions or advice is welcome. I am not in the mood to spend another $700 after dumping $2500 into the cats, especially if it causes no real problems. I have an Innova and it takes 2 minutes to clear the CEL. And, if push comes to shove, I can live with an always on CEL just like most owners of older Audis do.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear

How much for just the air pump? I look at it this way. The car is practically free. Any car, even a Kia is 199.00 a month. 199.00 x 12 = 2388.00

That awesome S4 you speak of will set you back at least 500.00 x 12 = 6000.00 a year.

My waterpump or thermostat is failing after only 2.5 years and 25k miles on them. It was indy mechanic replaced for 1000.00 back then. We just bought a Blauparts kit and it will arrive tomorrow. My car has 182k miles on it, has some body damage, leaks a little oil, cats replaced 2 years ago....you get the idea. I would really kill to trade in my A6 for a new Golf TDI @ 40mpg. But then I think to myself, the A6 has been paid off for 5 or so years now. It has been very reliable and I still love it. The Golf, which I know I would love, would set me back 500+ a month for 3 years. So paying 300.00 for my unexpected timing belt, or your 700.00 SAI pump repair is really only 1 to 2 months of car payments on a new car. Then after that, they go back to being free.

It would be different if we hated the car. It would make it easier to justify buying something new. But the way I see it, until something like the engine or transmission goes, I'll probably keep the car.

The SAI pump can't cost more than a couple hundred, just park the car until you get a free weekend and just do the labor yourself. That's what we are doing with my timing belt redo.

Good luck.

Jeff

Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
In addition to the P0421 and P0431 I have been getting before and after replacing the cats last fall, in April I started popping a P0491. On startup in colder weather, it sounds like shaking gravel in a can for about 30 seconds. I have not noticed it in warmer (> 70°) weather. I have been regularly clearing the CELs, but they come back within 20-250 miles. What to do?

The car is in excellent shape with 206k miles. Original turbos, most of the oe power train, shocks, even battery. Pretty loud whining out of the power steering (bearing?) for about 50k miles now. Honestly, I still love the car and plan to keep it another 50-100k. Day dreaming about an off-lease 2012 S4 in about three years.

What is the downside of running it with a bad SAIU? I live in MI, so no emissions test. Will it affect gas mileage or cause other problems? How tough is it to change the hoses (on the off chance it's a broken hose, but I doubt it) and does anyone have a DIY?

Other suggestions or advice is welcome. I am not in the mood to spend another $700 after dumping $2500 into the cats, especially if it causes no real problems. I have an Innova and it takes 2 minutes to clear the CEL. And, if push comes to shove, I can live with an always on CEL just like most owners of older Audis do.
If P0491 is related to the secondary air injection dont worry about it. Nothing major. My car has been throwing a SAI code for a while now but its (P1411 and p1423 i believe)

this is for emissions only. Nothing else. Running the car without a SAI will NOT harm any components. You can have the code removed for 100 from tunign companies.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

Bumping this back up for opinions and advice. Putting the A6 back on the road next week. When cold, the car sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner for 30-60 seconds. Then it quiets right down when warm. I am considering just removing the SAIU but want to make sure that will not cause any operational or performance problems. I can live with the CEL. She has 206k miles and most trips are distance - like many hundreds of miles. She is not a start-stop city driver.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

vacuum cleaner sound is the sound of the pump "working" or at least struggling to work. Mine has been making funky on again and off again noises for about a year now. still not throwing a code for it...yet...(great, now I will have that to deal with)

*opinion* don't sweat it

Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
Bumping this back up for opinions and advice. Putting the A6 back on the road next week. When cold, the car sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner for 30-60 seconds. Then it quiets right down when warm. I am considering just removing the SAIU but want to make sure that will not cause any operational or performance problems. I can live with the CEL. She has 206k miles and most trips are distance - like many hundreds of miles. She is not a start-stop city driver.
Dont remove the SAI unless you plan on getting block off plates to prevent gunk/ fluids getting in the hoses of the pump that is connected to the engine/ exhaust.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear

Don't worry about it. If you are interested, then you can take it out, clean and lube it, and reinstall.

VWVortex.com - DIY SAI pump rivet fix

Not really for A6, but pretty much the same... I remember reading about this some time ago and someone just cleaned it to make it better.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

One more thing... I would trace all the vacuum lines and make sure they are okay.