Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Groan - affected by outside temp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
The power steering fluid is designed to have little temperature dependance.
It is bad to have either low or high level .
Aging of plastic parts inside the pump and mainly the steering unit are most likely to blame.
The PS fluid level is fine. I flushed the system several months ago but I noticed the fluid would bubble in the reservoir when the engine was on. Since it got colder starting around September the groaning, moaning sounds went away and I fully expect the noise to come back here within the next couple of months or so.

I thought I read someplace that our power steering racks are a problem on these cars. Could this be causing my symptoms?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
1st Gear

Update:

Now that it's gotten considerably warmer outside the noise has begun to creep back. It's gotten above 90 degrees two days of last week and it began sounding like the dying animal the OP mentioned in his thread.

I checked the fluid and it's fine. What can be causing this? Should I replace my steering rack? I'd hate to spend $400 on a new steering rack plus labor only to have the noise remain.

Anybody????

Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
2nd Gear

Replace your clamps first with non-perforated worm drive clamps. Audi has them or search them on line. You could be sucking in air. especialy from the one on top of the pump. Mine did that after I changed the belt and moved it around. For now tighten the single use clamp some more.
After I changed my fluid to the G400 fluid from Audi and changed the clamps mine went away and did not come back.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Replace your clamps first with non-perforated worm drive clamps. Audi has them or search them on line. You could be sucking in air. especialy from the one on top of the pump. Mine did that after I changed the belt and moved it around. For now tighten the single use clamp some more.
After I changed my fluid to the G400 fluid from Audi and changed the clamps mine went away and did not come back.
I did replace my clamps with worm drive ones. But if that were the case, wouldn't I have the noise all the time regardless of outside temps?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Led

Having same problem on my 2000 A8... 80,000 miles. Horrible groaning sound when parking or making slow speed turns. No noise at all while driving. Given the commonality of this problem, I am surprised that there does not seem to be a "stock" answer that takes care of it! Help?

Thank you!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

I had the noise for months getting slowly worse, then one day close to home, the accessory belt went loose, a belt tensioner had come apart. I replaced the tensioner and belt and the noise went away. Car had ~120,000 miles.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 AM
1st Gear

It is a bad power steering pump. Need to replace it. Had the same thing. Cold weather, pump very noisy, warm good. I replaced the pump and things look good. No biggie.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

It was mentioned already but, I have found a common cause is the hose at the pump becomes stiff over time and even with new clamps will not seal air tight. It does get worse with cold temps, can also happen at any temp though. You won't have any fluid leakage but air will get sucked into the system (since it's the suction side hose leaking) and aerate the fluid, causing the groan similar to a what low fluid will do. Eventually, if left alone it will damage the pump. The air bubbles actually "explode" (simplest way to describe it) when the fluid is pressurized and erodes the pump vanes and housing bore.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

so the mercury has crept lower here, north of the 49th and my Steering is super noisy on start up and for the first 20min of driving... I suspect the fluid, thought being that once it has warmed up either by use or by conduction under the hood, the fluid is more viscous

Anyone know if, like brake fluid, PS fluid can slowing pull moisture in from the air?

I think this is a viscosity problem with the temp dipping and making the fluid more like molasses...

I'm going to try some 100% synthetic PS fluid as a fix.

What's this G400 Fluid I saw mentioned? Just overpriced generic power steering fluid with an Audi logo on it or is it something substantially different?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 AM
1st Gear

Hi, don't even bother to replace just the fluid. The PS pump is busted and needs to be replaced. It doesn't cost that much. All pumps are refurbished (rebuilt) anyway. Even dealer sells them rebuilt and sells as new. I bought one as OAM and have no issues. Works great. Hope that helps.

Last edited by A6Driver10; 11-12-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Groan - affected by outside temp?