Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning over engine by hand -2.8L FWD

Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Turning over engine by hand -2.8L FWD

Is there an easy way to turn the engine over by hand? The crank pulley is pretty low and at a tight spot...does anyone have any tips? also, what way does the engine turn, clockwise or counterclockwise?

I've got the starter out and am attempting to turn the engine over by hand to get to the torque converter bolts (transmission replacement).

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

I always turn the engine over by walking a prybar on the teeh of the flywheel. Maybe that will work.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 PM
3rd Gear

I did it with just the socket over the crank bolt and a long arm wrench (ratcheting type) - although you can use a breaker bar as well...
Although you can go either way, I rotated it clockwise.

O.T.
Any possibility to "document" your steps for taking out the tranny?
(maybe even pics?)
Thanks

Last edited by chefro; 01-29-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
I did it with just the socket over the crank bolt and a long arm wrench (ratcheting type) - although you can use a breaker bar as well...
Although you can go either way, I rotated it clockwise.

O.T.
Any possibility to "document" your steps for taking out the tranny?
(maybe even pics?)
Thanks
That's the plan. Its going to be really close but I don't think I have to drop the subframe to get to the transmission. Either way, it should be out in not too long and I can start my write up. Its pretty dark where im working or I would be taking more pictures

I have the Bentley, and it states that removal of the auto trans is "out of the scope of the manual"

Kind of intimidating, huh?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

What type of transmission are you looking at in Bentley?
There are two auto for FWD: 097 and 01K. The procedures for removing both types are included actually in Bentley - granted we're talking about C4.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear

All engines, except Hondas, rotate clockwise. Hondas used to be different but they were supposed to be changing. When in doubt, remember to keep tension on the side of the belt without a tensioner.

No instructions, huh? And to think it's only a FWD! WOnder what Bentley would say about a Quattro!

Good luck,

Bob

Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

What type of transmission are you looking at in Bentley?
There are two auto for FWD: 097 and 01K. The procedures for removing both types are included actually in Bentley - granted we're talking about C4.
This is a C5, model year 2001 I believe. This transmission is the 01V.

I thought I had the right socket for the crank pulley, but I guess I was wrong. 19mm 12 pt is too big, I think I need a 21mm or so. I'm not working on the car in my garage, so I'm always going back and forth to get specialty tools

Chefro, if you have the C4 Bentley and wouldn't mind making some scans, it likely would help me to see the transmission removal section

Maybe I'll get some more work done today, but I have class in a few hours.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear

Well, I'm a little confused. Are you working on a C5 or a C4?
If you work on a 2001, then I doubt the C4 tranny's removal procedure would help you.
Send me your e-mail.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Well, I'm a little confused. Are you working on a C5 or a C4?
If you work on a 2001, then I doubt the C4 tranny's removal procedure would help you.
Send me your e-mail.
Sorry for the confusion, I'm working on a c5. My thoughts were they might be similar enough to point out anything I may have missed, but I could be way wrong. sending you my email now

Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

Good news, all.

Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to do some writing in the near future. Thank you to all who helped, and especially to chefro for the the pages

oh, and ignore the terrible quality. my phone hates low lighting lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turning over engine by hand -2.8L FWD