Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Power window failure

Hi,

I have an Audi A6 C5 from 1998.

My power window, drivers side has been difficult to get up for a while. I have ignored the problem since I have managed without the power window and my Audi dealer will not sell the plastic clips separately.

Yesterday I noticed that it is possible to pull down the window from the outside without using the switch! So it is time to fix this.

I removed the two green plastic clips, with the window still in the car. Both clips were broken.

Now, I don't fully understand the power window mechanics, but at this point, shouldn't it be possible to move the wire by flipping the switch? The motor just twitches and the wire hardly moves at all.

Is something more broken or could it be just the clips?

Is there an easy way of fixating the window in it's up position?

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Certified

Purchase a new window regulator. The regulators are made of piano wire & plastic , they break & break often. Do not try & replace any broken plastic **** or rewire the the piano.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ploplen
Hi,

I have an Audi A6 C5 from 1998.

My power window, drivers side has been difficult to get up for a while. I have ignored the problem since I have managed without the power window and my Audi dealer will not sell the plastic clips separately.

Yesterday I noticed that it is possible to pull down the window from the outside without using the switch! So it is time to fix this.

I removed the two green plastic clips, with the window still in the car. Both clips were broken.

Now, I don't fully understand the power window mechanics, but at this point, shouldn't it be possible to move the wire by flipping the switch? The motor just twitches and the wire hardly moves at all.

Is something more broken or could it be just the clips?

Is there an easy way of fixating the window in it's up position?

Thanks.
I have the same car, and has some similar issues. Is there more then one Audi dealer in your area? The first dealer I went to would not sell me the clips separately. The second dealer I went to did. You could also order the clips online. They are pink, salmon color I think is what may be the official color.

My issue was more getting the window to go back up after I rolled it down. I'm not sure if there is a way to replace the clips while the window is up. I had to remove the window from the door in order to replace the clips.

It sounds like your regulator could be bad but the window may just be jammed and that maybe your issue to why it won't roll down. You could try to apply a little pressure to the window and then have someone else press the button to roll the window down.

One other trick, my buttons were not working to roll the windows down so I put the key in the door and if you hold it for about 5 seconds, unlock will roll all the windows down and lock will roll them all up. perhaps you could get your window to go down that way.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by copper07
Is there more then one Audi dealer in your area?
Not in my town, but I could try in the neighboring towns.
You could also order the clips online.
I'll look into that.

My issue was more getting the window to go back up after I rolled it down.
That was exactly how my problem started out. Now the problem has evolved into that the window can be rolled down (or up) by hand from the outside (and inside). A bit too burglar friendly. The switch does not do anything anymore but it's perfectly possible to move the window by hand.

I'm not sure if there is a way to replace the clips while the window is up. I had to remove the window from the door in order to replace the clips.
I read somewhere about someone who did it without removing the window from the door. I did manage to get the clips of the door without removing the window. So it should be possible to put them back on.

Maybe I just do as M5S5 suggest and replace the regulator. I think I can find a used one nearby for 50-100$. Probably doesn't get pink clips with that one but it's cheap.

Last edited by Ploplen; 04-03-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Certified

If you look around you can get a new aftermarket regulator for under $100.
Don't bother with used , you allready have a "used one".

Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 AM
1st Gear

Well you don't live in expensive Sweden...
I was a bit quick yesterday, rear-window regulators can be found for 50-100$
Used front-left seems hard to find for under 150$. That price is almost as a new one. The used one includes a motor. A new one does not. Gonna check if I need a new motor or not first.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Certified

You can just unbolt the motor from the regulator & see if it works or not. Most of the time just a regulator is needed.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Difference between 4B0 837 461C and 4B0 837 461

Back from Easter holyday.

Motor was fine.

Found two regulators at my cheapest dealer.

4B0 837 461C (or 4B0 837 461A) and 4B0 837 461. The former being cheaper. On the picture the 4B0 837 461C looks just right, but the shop says it's for cars newer than 06.01.

I found a bentley manual that said the C-version was for cars with laminated & insulated windows. What's the difference? Would the C-version work for me?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 AM
1st Gear

...and the shop makes no difference weather the window is insulated or not.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

I have problem with my front passenger window. It has a hard time roiling up and down. I took it to my mechanic and he told me I need to replace the window regulator. Should I buy a new regulator first or take my door panel apart to see what is broken first? Also I know I will break off the clips when I take down the door panel. Can I buy the clips online or at the dealer?

Quick Reply: Power window failure