Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle & MIL Light Flashing

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Rough Idle & MIL Light Flashing

Hello everybody I did some searching around and couldn't find an exact answer for my car looks like more of these issues pop on the B6's. I have a 2006 Audi A6 4.2 V8 S-Line. Today I was driving on my day off after getting the car washed and running some errands and all of a sudden I notice the car shaking and running a little rough and some hesitation upon acceleration at low RPM's just thought it was the road while I was in traffic but then came to a stop and realized no the MIL light was flashing, all temps and oil gauge reads normal, plenty of gas etc... I pull over as soon as possible into a strip mall, get out check around no leaks, smell's like its running a little rich oil levels were fine and smelled normal. Cut the car off and get it towed to my home. Only thing I have been noticing with this car since I got it is that sometimes it will hesitate to start like hearing it crank but just not turn over for like 3-5 seconds then it does and the battery level is reading 100% and I've put it on the charger all day before. I'm thinking it's a coilpack and the car is just misfiring as it is what it feels like. Any advice guys and where to buy coilpacks would be greatly appreciated also what kind of process it is to get the coilpacks off and change them out, I'm pretty handy but don't like messing with things that i can break and make much worse. Hopefully this is just something simple because I will feel like a real a$$ because the finance guy did warn me and I opted out of the warranty, even though i can still get one and just wait 30 days to make a claim if it is something major.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by audijoneseyy21; 08-22-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if there is much of a difference between your car and mine (as far as the engine is concerned) but what happened to you sounds like what happened to me a little while back. My Check Engine light started flashing just as the engine began to run rough and hesitation became noticeable while trying to pass people on the highway. It turned out to be that it needed oil, maybe that's the problem you're having.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear

I have the 2002 a6 4.2 and I have not had that problem yet. However I replaced all spark plugs, maf and Coil packs within the first thousand miles after I bought it.
Usually a flashing CEL indicates miss-firing. You could get a VAG tool and scan the soft codes to see what is stored as an error (or multiple). Without that info you could randomly replace stuff that could be the cause but it will be hard to pinpoint and you might be wasting money.
I would consider checking/replacing all spark plugs and coil packs first.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear

The only time I had a bad shaking and a blinking CEL was when I had #3 coilpack go bad. I ended up replacing all the coilpacks at a dealer (fortunately for free under a TSB). However, after drinking too many vodka tonics I have also experienced the shakes and vision problems. Not sure of the correlation to your problem.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

Update for you guys. Replaced all the coilpacks and spark plugs and it got little better but is still flashing the light at me and shaking pretty bad at idle. Going to have a buddy come over with a vag scan and go from there I'm thinking it may be injectors. Do you guys think in any way possible that it I put regular 87 grade gas in that it would throw these codes out and cause this terrible idle shaking. I'm afraid if it's injectors or anything worse it will be going to Audi because me and my buddies are mechanically inclined but it near confident enough to be taking off the heads etc if that's type route I'll need to go here. Any input is appreciated

Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

I was at the gas station running late and don't remember pressing premium and at the Mobil I go to it will automatically dial you into regular gas. I almost wish I was one or the BP customers so I can jump on the bandwagon here and blame it on them. They've had a bad batch of gas out there for the last week in Illinois and parts of Indiana. Beware

Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

I had an EXTREMELY close problem to yours i had to replace the Ignition control unit on my air box...there should be 2 on yours as well...although keep in mind that i have a 2000 A6 2.7T it would shake really bad at idle but when i put rpms up it would smooth out if this sounds close to your situation im pretty confident thats your problem

Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

hey guys, did anyone figure out this problem? I have a similar one. it's an 01 a6 4.2. I am getting p1340 - camshaft position sensor - g40/engine speed sensor - g28 incorrect allocation, as well as p0300 - multiple misfire, p0305, p0308 and p0307. any thoughts? the car runs great for the most part, but, idles rough, not crazy rough, but, not normal. has only had a loss of power once or twice. nasty cat/egg smell every now and then. timing was done and double checked, new cats, new plugs, new coils new camshaft position sensors. checked crank sensor, cleaned it, looked fine, some say, just clean it, some say replace it. all help is greatly appreciated.