Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed on MMI software update?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Screwed on MMI software update?

I went to the dealer this morning and complained of a jumping cursor in my radio presets on the MMI. I have a 2005 A6 3.2 that was running version 10.x MMI software (ancient version!).

They upgraded it for me (for free since I'm still under warranty) but they only upgraded to 33.6 even though there's a version now in the 44 range. Does the dealer have any obligation to upgrade me all the way to the current software?

I have a feeling that they stopped at 33.6 because anything higher would require them to upgrade my Navigation software from 4 to 5.

Any input? Does anyone know if the dealer is required to give me the latest?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Screwed on MMI software update?

Version 33.6 fixes all of the MMI "problems". Those with 44.1 report not seeing any differences from 33.6. As a matter of fact a few people upgrading to 44.1 have reported a few problems. It seems that our 2005 hardware may havesome conflicts with the 2008 software.

I can't believe that you are still running Nav version 4. They are currently using Nav version 9. There are big improvements from Nav 4. You can buy the disc at Navteq and pop it in yourself. Unlike the MMI, updating the nav can be done by anybody.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, Kevin. Given your previous posts I was hoping you'd chime in!

I just bought the car on Saturday and since my previous Audi ride was a 2000 I didn't have navigation or MMI, this is all new to me. I'm going to look into purchasing the new navigation DVD.

I appreciate your input.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Hi, Thanks to each of you. I am the new owner of a 2005 3.2 A6. Really happy with the car. I just got my car back after being at the dealer for 3 days. I had issues with the MMI not accessing my phonebook. After struggling with the dealer to get the software update, I've been updated to 44.1 at no charge. Thanks for the information on the jumping cursor. I had the original version 7 software. Things are much better! I have lost bluetooth connectivity a few times today. I have also upgraded the NAV with the new version. If Audi and my phone vendor say all of this functionality is supported and I still have issues, what are my options and what are Audi's responsibilities? I don't know if it is my dealer but they seem to want to charge to correct these types of issues. The car is still under original warranty. Thanks very much.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:11 AM
2nd Gear

Is the telephone on Audi's approved list? I know that my provider, Verizon, also provides a list of what bluetooth phones work with what car. Is your A6 on your phone's list?

Since upgrading to 33.6 (2 years ago) I have had between 5-10 bluetooth connectivity issues in total. So something is wrong with your set-up.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Kevin, thanks for the reply. Yes my phone is an LG VX8700 software version T87VXV02. I have a PDF from verizon that says full support in 2005 A6 with phone software version T87VXV01. Unfortunaltly the PDF provided by verizon doesn't give a minimum MMI software level. I noticed earlier in this thread you posted that there are issues with 2005 hardware working correctly with software version 44.1. I wonder if I should be concerned having this version of MMI software on this model year?
Only having had an Audi for 2 weeks now, I don't know if the lack of information I am getting from the dealer is isolated to this dealer or if it is with Audi What do you feel is the best resource for information on the MMI software?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 PM
2nd Gear

The best information available to the public seems to be the forums. Have you tried the teletamatic forum on AudiWorld? It is pretty good for providing the real world experiences of fellow Audi owners and the stories toldthem by Audi dealers and technicians. There are also a couple of technicians on the forum. As far as version 44.1, a few people with 2005 hardware have had a good experience with the upgrade. The majority have had issues. Personally I have stuck with version 33.6, which has been very stable.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Thank you. I will see what happens over the next week or so and hope I don't have to go back to the dealer and insist they downgrade my software. I will post a followup next week for others who may be interested.