Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short ram intake for C5 4.2??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM
1st Gear
Default short ram intake for C5 4.2??

Hey Guys,

I'm just curious if they make a short ram cold air intake kit for the C5 4.2? I've seen them on Ebay for the 2.7T's but why couldn't this same kit fit on the 4.2?

I've upgraded the car with a magnaflow cat back, stage 1 ECU upgrade and K&N Filter but I would like to add a cold air intake and Walbo fuel pump to see if I can get any more gains out of it.

I also heard drilling some holes in the airbox increases airflow and helps the car breathe better. Is this true?

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

I recommend that you not waste your $$ on the fuel pump. Unless you can shove a lot more air into the engine requiring you to put in larger injectors the stock fuel pump can provide adequate flow. I don't think that any non-forced induction intake system will up your flow enough to require larger injectors. In the C4-S6 community the injectors did not need to be upgraded until you increased the boost pressure from the stock 15PSI to the high 20psi range. You can monitor this using a VAG-COM. It has a function which allows you to monitor injector duty cycle.

Be careful drilling out the air box. It may result in sucking in warm air from around the engine and that will negate the better airflow. Make sure that whatever intake system you install is well protected from swallowing large quantities of water in heavy rain. That can do bad things to your MAF and/or engine.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

Hey,

Thanks for the info ManyAudis.

Where would you suggest the drilling for the airbox?

I did end up finding a cold air kit from LLtek but will research the topic further before purchasing. Alot of other forums and suggestions on this topic also recommend adding another heat shield to protect engine heat from that area.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

In my opinion drilling the airbox offers no advantage. The airbox gets its primary air from a scoop behind the grill, probably the best, coldest and highest pressure air available. Holes in the airbox would get air from the warm engine compartment.

But if you do drill holes, make sure they are on the upstream side of the filter. Also, to make a significant difference in air flow the holes would have to equal the area of the main air intake. If you do the calculations you may find that the airbox needs a heck of a lot of holes.