Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius 'Linking' Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Sirius 'Linking' Problem

Hello All, first time post & first time audi owner.

First off, I love my new A6. Just purchased one at the end of September. Brand new A6 2012 Premium Plus.

First impressions was great. Like the performance & drive. All the gadgets and features are everything I've dreamed of. The only thing I have an issue with is the 'Linking' errors I receive from the Sirius unit while driving certain areas.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem with their cars or similar problems.

I have recorded a couple of videos to make this easier to understand.

Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAe6XYK05dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_rh...feature=relmfu

Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

I initially had problems when I first purchased the car. Called Sirius and after a few times of them creating, deleting, and creating my account again, it finally worked. They did it all in about 15 minutes while I was in the car. No issues since. Not sure if you called them, but it may be a good start to determine the source of the problem.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. Was your issue similar to the problem shown in the videos? Just linking all the time? I have not called Sirius yet. Just working with my dealer. Since I've complained. The did swap the antenna. But also blamed it on the cellular signal from t-mobile. They told me the problem exists in 2G areas. To my dismay the new antenna may have made things worse off.
I will call Sirius and try to do as you suggested. What exact did you say? I can already hear them saying. Let me send a refresh signal.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Same Issue

I have had the same issue with my 2005 A6 which I purchased new. I have had Sirruis since day one. In more recent times the "linking issue" arose I have not been able to solve it. I have called Sirruus several times. Any thoughts?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

The dealership and I finally nailed it down. The cause of the issue is the Cellular signal to the MMI while using Sirius at the same time. When I drive in 2G areas and have google maps on. It's terrible. Linking issues up the butt. When I turn google maps off In 2G areas it's fine. Not a problem in sight!
Then in 3G areas... good as gold with or without google maps on. No linking issues at all.

The dealer said the Sirius signal isn't a direct connection from the satellite to the antenna on the car. The signal actually comes from cell towers then to the car. In fact they said "No car on the market actually receives a signal from the satellite unless you're the military" So it goes like this. Satellite - Cell Towers (t-mobile) - Car. In that order.
If you have poor reception from t-mobile (2G and running google maps) you're pretty much screwed. Liking issues will be a nightmare.

So much for getting that data plan. I primarily live in a 2G area.

Has anyone else had this problem with a Data connection??

Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

explain more what you mean about having google maps on? Do you mean your smartphone turned on with google maps running?

thanks!