Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter or ignition switch? very important help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default starter or ignition switch? very important help!

I'm having trouble with trying to figure out the problem with my car. Up untill today I thought it was the starter. I had the battery and alt tested so I just thought the only thing left is the starter. But after doing some reading it sounds like the ignition switch has went bad.. a few days ago when I went to go home from work I got into my car, turned the key and it rolled over once (very weak) and then NOTHING. Turned my key over and over and nothing! I don't hear a CLICK from the starter. But the CLICK is coming from under the dash!?.. I had another person turn the key while I had my ear close to the starter and all I heard coming from the starter is a weak buzzing?? Not a CLICK but more like a buzzing.. now I have been reading about useing a REMOTE STARTER or something to TEST the ignition switch?? I'm very lost and don't understand what that means?? I need my car as it is my ONLY way to work and home. My car is a 2000 a6 2.7t auto trans.. someone please help

Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

I could be off, but when did you replace the coil packs?

Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

i bought the car six months ago but i dont think they are too old. i have never had a misfire with it or anything.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

if anyone knows how to test the igition switch please tell me. i have the car jacked up and by looking at the starter, it looks like a full day job to get it out. so advice on the starter OR ignition switch would be amazing!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem with my daughter's '95 Audi 90. Turned out to be the ignition switch, the B4 and C4 chassis cars were notorious for this problem. I tested it by using a wire to connect the positive terminal on the starter solenoid to the battery directly. The power to the starter motor (big cable) is unswitched from the battery to the the starter solenoid. All the starter needs is some low current +12V on the power terminal to switch the high current cable to the starter. When you do this make sure the car is in neutral! Connect the wire to the starter solenoid first and then touch it to the positive terminal on the battery. This way you do not need to have your body under the car when you do the test (much safer). If the starter spins the problem is the ignition switch.

If you do need a new switch (it is a plastic switch connected to the back of the lock cylinder on most cars) ONLY USE OEM!!! I and many others tried the $10 Chinese knockoffs and replaced them again within months. Pay the $40 from the dealer and be happy you did.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

im sorry but i really dont understand how to test the starter. could u right a step by step please. i really want to try this before i tear my whole front end apart.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

You should see two wires going to the start. A big thick one which carries the current to the motor and a small thin one which controls the solenoid. Remove the small thin one only. Get a long wire (8ft) with alligator clips on both ends. Clip one end to the terminal on the solenoid where you just removed the wire. Then, when you are ready, touch the other end to a +12V power such as the positive battery terminal or the + jumper post under the hood. The starter should engage.

Unfortunately I have never owned a C5 chassis car so I do not have a Bentley manual for the car, otherwise I would post some pictures from the manual.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

yeah the only problem is that the starter is almost impossible to get to unless i take the front clip and alternator off :/

Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

In that case I would try to find the other end of the wire which powers the solenoid and do the same experiment, you will probably need a wiring diagram. The other option is to remove the ignition switch and test it. Those of us who owned older C4 cars got to the point where we could remove the switch in about 10 minutes. You can tell if the switch is bad because the outside plastic case is usually cracked.