Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Default Steering Wheel vibration

Problem began when my Audi dealer installed new Continental Contact tires at 40,000 miles. Steering wheel vibrates at around 50 MPH. I now have 51,000 miles on car. The Audi dealer claims that all my rims are bent, which I find hard to believe considering the type of driving that I do (less than 10,000 miles in one year primarily on well paved local roads).

Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Steering Wheel vibration

More than likely its the front tires, 1/10 its a bent rim on any driving type.
Rotate the front wheels to the rear and the vibration should move to the seat.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 PM

If you look around there has been a lot of discussion on this topic lately in the A6 forum. Usually the general concensus or solution to these problems is either balancing or new tires at the rate we're going.

Another thing to watch for is centering rings if you have aftermarket wheels installed.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

I had a Vibration problem too. Mine was a bent rim. Even the smallest dents affect it like you would not believe! BTW i just got new rims and the car is running wonderful!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 PM
3rd Gear

I was having the same problem. Went to the stealership and they told me the same exact thing!! I had brand new tires and they told me that I had two bent rims. I found this to be the "We have no f'ing idea what is wrong with the car and we don't want to try to find out what is wrong with it..." I have found that Audi techs have no idea what they are doing when it comes to our cars. Not one of my symptoms has been diagnosed by an Audi tech. Instead, they have been found and fixed by private shops. I had a whole new set of wheels put on the car and I'm still experiencing vibration problems. I'm working on the wording to send them and tell them that they owe me for the wheels and the $250 they charged me to balance them and not even fix them. I suggest going to a good independent shop. They care more about the business and keeping their customers. Audi sucks when it comes to helping drivers and customers out. If I ever go to another vehicle, it will be due to Audis customer service and crap techs. (Not all techs but 95% of them)

Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Its generally a bad tire. I wonder however if they have bent a wheel when installing tires. I have always cured a imballance with new tires and road force balance. Ifor one would only use genuine Audi wheels. Hard to imagine bending a wheel on install of tires though.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

I WOULD SAY HAVE THE TIRES RE BALANCED AND SEE IF IT STILL VIBRATES, IF IT STILL DOES, I WOULD SAY TRY DIFFERENT TIRES BECAUSE IT COULD BE EITHER OR. SOME PLACES MISCALCULATE THE TAPED WEIGHTS ON THE INSIDE OF THE RIM OR PLACE THE IN THE INCORRECT SPOT WHICH COULD CAUSE THE WHEEL TO BE UNBALANCED.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Good point! I had a similar problem in Volvo (Sorry). Almost the same symptoms, but I had two bent rims. The rotation solution didn't really work until I just screamed [sm=WTFsgign.gif]I finally pulled out my full size spare and my donut. The vibration seemed to be the front passenger, so i put the full size spare in its place. Drove the car and no vibration at 45-55 MPH...Yeah, right. I decided to run this "Older"lady in a Corvette (She looked easy, but then she shot me the bird!). I shot the bird back, and punched my Volvo and I had her for about a 1/8 of a mile... Then the vibration kicked in and so I had to let her pass me. I went home and bought another rim from a guy on the Volvospeed forum. Slapped the fresh rim on,and no vibration at 80-100MPH (There was vibration,but not like before).

...That is my time ....Thank you... God bless...

Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: cary12

I was having the same problem. Went to the stealership and they told me the same exact thing!! I had brand new tires and they told me that I had two bent rims. I found this to be the "We have no f'ing idea what is wrong with the car and we don't want to try to find out what is wrong with it..." I have found that Audi techs have no idea what they are doing when it comes to our cars. Not one of my symptoms has been diagnosed by an Audi tech. Instead, they have been found and fixed by private shops. I had a whole new set of wheels put on the car and I'm still experiencing vibration problems. I'm working on the wording to send them and tell them that they owe me for the wheels and the $250 they charged me to balance them and not even fix them. I suggest going to a good independent shop. They care more about the business and keeping their customers. Audi sucks when it comes to helping drivers and customers out. If I ever go to another vehicle, it will be due to Audis customer service and crap techs. (Not all techs but 95% of them)

Sadly your right. When i go to new model training in southern california every few months i get to see audi techs from all over the country and most of them seem pretty stupid. Hopefully that will change soon with all the audi academy graduates coming into the field.
However technicians will hardly ever help you with wheel vibrations because audi won't pay us to diagnose them, only the customer can and that really isn't that much, so your really wasting your time taking your car to the dealer for a vibration issue. That goes for me too, i can diagnose a bent wheel or seperated tire like few people can, but if you think im gonna spend an hour working on your car thats only gonna pay me 15 minutes you got another thing coming. Take it to a good tire shop because those dumb asses are paid hourly, so they could care less.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

As a starting point, do what Audi tech said, switch front and back and see your feel the vibration in yuor behind If you do it is deinfitely one or two of the front rims or tires. Could be bad balancing but Bent wheels are often the issue in my experience unfortunately and you will feel the smallest bend. However, Defective new tires happen a lot more these days. See if you can get them balabced again, stay withthe tech and look how close to perfect they get each front wheel. My guess is one (or more) will be less accurate, try putting a different tire on it and see if it helps . If it is the problem, get it replaced by the supplier/shop.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel vibration