Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in 4th Gear (Limp Mode?)

Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Default Stuck in 4th Gear (Limp Mode?)

Guys,

Check Engine light came on last week. I had an independent shop do a diagnosistic. The car is stuck in 4th gear, so I'm real slow to accelerate but fine when moving. Can not reset the CEL light.

The shop says I need a new transmission. But reading around the forum, it could is probably TCM (transmission control module)? Anyway I can figure this out for sure?

Knowns:

1) Stuck in 4th gear (limp mode or fail-safe mode), all gear lights "on" instrument cluster.
2) A small leak from under the air filter box/ dip stick area. I just got an oil change, so I thought it may be some excess oil, but maybe transmission fluid leak?
3) Not MAF, change new already.

Unknown:

1) Solution.
2) Transmission Control Module? Location of module?

Thanks in advance.

Miller
1999 Audi A6, 2.8L Quatrro (108K Miles)

Last edited by ml_audia6; 09-09-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

module is in the passenger footwell, do you know what the codes are? Could be a failed torque converter clutch

Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 AM

well bud i can't say i even know what the heck is going on with your car, but all i can say is you're brave for still driving your car when you know that the transmission is FUBAR. i can only assume you're doing more damage then anything even if you say it runs fine once you start going at a decent speed.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

yeah, definitely STOP driving the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are basically burning up all the material inside the tranny. Think of driving a car with the clutch half-engaged all the time and just slipping and burning the clutch the entire time!!
Second, a VAG-COM diagnostic will tell you if you're throwing the TCC (converter) code. That's expensive. Or, maybe you have water in the car like myself and a couple other members have right now and it short-circuited the TCU, like in my case. Same driving symptoms. Pull up the carpet and see if you have water.
But STOP driving the car!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Thanks guys for your input. I'm taking it to the Audi shop today to find out the problems. I have a feeling it going to be expensive.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

I'm also very worried about the day that my car throws the TCC code... big pay-day for Audi

Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

unless you are under Audi warranty, I would take it to a Indy shop.. Tell us where yuo are locted and I think someone here can help yuo locate a good local shop. Audi will most liekly rup yuo off

Is your car modded? any recent chnages to the TCU?
TCU is nuder the passenger footwell under the carpet... only 5-10 minutes to get to.
See if it is humid or maybe not connecdted correctly before you go anywhere.
Get the codes form a VAGcom tool. PSOt them
I had the same problem when I replace the tip chip and there were encryption issues. Your car goes into limp mode for the purpose of protecting the tranny.

Could be your torque converter.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

So was my tranny in "limp mode" when my TCU got wet? Was that the slipping/non-lock-up and illminated PRNDS that I experienced? I'm hoping I didn't do permanant damage by driving home like that!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

the PRNDS is associated with the TIP range sensor which is located inside the TCU, if the problem persists it requires a new TCU

Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

you can drive home in limp. But not sure yours was in limp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck in 4th Gear (Limp Mode?)