Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of a bad turn signal/ flasher relay

Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
1st Gear
Arrow Symptoms of a bad turn signal/ flasher relay

Ive had an ongoing issue with my front signal lights since I got the car. First the bulbs would blow within days of replacement, then rather than blowing they simply stopped working as turn signals, but stayed lit at all other times. The bulb holder themselve both had damage and burn marks, and the drivers side housing is quite damaged but still makes contact with the bulb holder after you play with it a bit. Lately both bulbs will be lit solidly with the lights on but only one will blink when the alarm is armed. Does this look like a relay issue? Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can provide.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear

Define damage and burn marks (picture?) Don't be offended, but are you sure you're getting the right bulbs and installing them correctly? I ask because when i think of burn marks, I think of shorting, maybe loose bulbs, moisture, bulb installed backwards or damaged socket. The relay can cause your bulbs to stay illuminated, but I don't know why it would cause the burn marks.

My guess is the bulbs are shorting out, although I'm not sure how that is happening. Somehow the bulbs are being back-fed power causing them to stay on.

It could be you have 2 problems, a bad relay and bad bulb (taillight) clusters. The cluster causing the relay to fail.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:32 AM
1st Gear

Its fine, but I am definitely installing the right bulbs correctly. The bulbs fit into the socket perfectly but the notches on the socket that interlock with the headlight housing are chipped/bent/damaged/worn ect. The burn marks are on and around the contacts on the bulb socket. Could the tail lights really cause a problem like this? They are working correctly.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 AM
3rd Gear

Ignore my taillight reference, I assumed you were talking about the taillights were burning out. If the connector is getting moisture in it, it will short out and possibly cause the lights to stay illuminated. Get yourself a can do dielectric grease. http://www.acehardware.com/largeImag...-1241343dt.jpg

Fill the connector with the grease and see if it makes any change. You can find dielectric grease at any home store or auto parts store.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...r/DSC09293.jpg Maybe not as much grease as this person used, but use a lot.

Last edited by Jeffla; 05-08-2011 at 01:33 AM.