Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Synthetic Power steering fluid ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Default Is Synthetic Power steering fluid ok?

I don't know what the onwer before me put in the car, but I need power steering fluid. I brought some synthetic power sterring fluid. Just to say, if the car had non-synthetic fluid, is it ok to mix synthetic with it? I didn't add any fluid yet, I wanted to check first, I asked the people at the parts store, but I halfway dont belive them, they said it dont matter.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is Synthetic Power steering fluid ok?

ORIGINAL: Cappachinoo

I don't know what the onwer before me put in the car, but I need power steering fluid. I brought some synthetic power sterring fluid. Just to say, if the car had non-synthetic fluid, is it ok to mix synthetic with it? I didn't add any fluid yet, I wanted to check first, I asked the people at the parts store, but I halfway dont belive them, they said it dont matter.
I was told here that Audi uses MINERAL oil for power steering fluid, it also says such on my fluid reservoir. I wouldn't think you would want to mix the two together.

I have wanted to change my steering fluid too and wonder if the system were drained could a synthetic fluid be used instead?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 AM

I never heard of anyone draining the power steering fluid, how would you do that? I would like to use the synthetic fluid because I feel like its better.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

I never heard of anyone draining the power steering fluid, how would you do that? I would like to use the synthetic fluid because I feel like its better.
It's not unheard ofto change power steering fluid, it's just that most people never do it! Your hydraulic brake fluid should be flushed periodically too, and many people never do that either. On Mercedes Benz cars, the power steering pump has a filter that is also changed upon fluid change. I plan on changing my fluid soon, and I too think synthetic might be better, but the mineral oil Audi uses is non-hygroscopic, meaning that damaging moisture cannotbe absorbed intothe mineral type power steering fluid (as itis evaporated out) I think it would be safer to stay with whatAudi uses.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:44 AM

I think you can mix Synthetic with Non-Synthetic. Here is the link.

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...ng_fluid.shtml

Can You Mix CHF 7.1 Non-Synthetic Mineral Base Power Steering Fluid With CHF 11S Synthetic Mineral Base Audi Power Steering Fluid?
There has been a good measure of controversy over this question. Here is what our own experience shows. Over the last decade we've had no compatibility problems mixing the CHF 7.1 non-synthetic mineral base fluid and the CHF 11S synthetic based Audi power steering fluid. No problems with our own vehicles and no problems with our customers vehicles. Our success in mixing the 2 Audi power steering fluids coincides with the Audi tech bulletin 48-89-T07 issued in November 1989. It states "The new [synthetic Pentosin 11S] and old power steering fluid [non-synthetic Pentosin 7.1] can be mixed if necessary ... the part number [remains] unchanged." So according to Audi, you can mix the 2 Audi power steering fluids. Even though the composition of the fluid changed (CHF 11S synthetic mineral oil vs CHF 7.1 non-synthetic mineral oil), Audi didn't even change the part number. All 1990 - on Audi models have come filled from the factory with the synthetic CHF 11S Audi power steering fluid (G002000). Please Note: Never mix generic power steering fluid or other fluid with the CHF 7.1 or CHF 11S Audi hydraulic fluid (G002000). If you or someone else did, flush the Audi power steering fluid as described below.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Can You Mix CHF 7.1 Non-Synthetic Mineral Base Power Steering Fluid With CHF 11S Synthetic Mineral Base Audi Power Steering Fluid?
There has been a good measure of controversy over this question. Here is what our own experience shows. Over the last decade we've had no compatibility problems mixing the CHF 7.1 non-synthetic mineral base fluid and the CHF 11S synthetic based Audi power steering fluid. No problems with our own vehicles and no problems with our customers vehicles. Our success in mixing the 2 Audi power steering fluids coincides with the Audi tech bulletin 48-89-T07 issued in November 1989. It states "The new [synthetic Pentosin 11S] and old power steering fluid [non-synthetic Pentosin 7.1] can be mixed if necessary ... the part number [remains] unchanged." So according to Audi, you can mix the 2 Audi power steering fluids. Even though the composition of the fluid changed (CHF 11S synthetic mineral oil vs CHF 7.1 non-synthetic mineral oil), Audi didn't even change the part number. All 1990 - on Audi models have come filled from the factory with the synthetic CHF 11S Audi power steering fluid (G002000). Please Note: Never mix generic power steering fluid or other fluid with the CHF 7.1 or CHF 11S Audi hydraulic fluid (G002000). If you or someone else did, flush the Audi power steering fluid as described below.
I guess this answers the question about mixing compatibility, but says nothing about mixing non-mineral type synthetic withAudi-synthetic/mineral. So yes you can add synthetic fluid to your power steering reservoir and be OK, but aren't you diluting away from the non-hygroscopic ability of the Audi synthetic/mineral type fluid?

I see online at various autopart suppliers the mineral-synthetic,Pentosin 11S, not cheap, but that is likely the best thing to use to top off with I guess.
Changing power steering fluid is an ounce of prevention that maysave you down the road, if you are planning on keeping your car a long time. My 97 A6 has now 95k,I bought it recently and expect from my good maintenance another 95k, or about 5 years, so yes to me it is well worth doing all the fluid changes, also including rear differential, however that may be considered a bit ****, butthe last 3 cars I bought used, similar to this one, have taken me to 300,000 miles, each of the three received the same fluid changes, never had any major problems,andin the end for each it was usually heater cores gone bad, or too much rust, that ended their roadworthiness for me.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Audi synthetic/mineral? I know I'm not understanding something. Anything Synthetic is man made and mineral is crude oil. You lost me there.

Non-hygroscopic, so you are saying that the Audi fluid does notabsorb moisture?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Audi synthetic/mineral? I know I'm not understanding something. Anything Synthetic is man made and mineral is crude oil. You lost me there.

Non-hygroscopic, so you are saying that the Audi fluid does notabsorb moisture?
According to the report you posted here, that Audi has used only synthetic power steering fluid since the mid 90's, and that (at least on my 97 A6) a label saying to us only mineral type fluid, is suggestive that Audi uses a synthetic based mineral type power steering fluid. Hell, I don't know! I care about this fluid change only because dirty fluid of any type will contain abrasion to the seals and possibly cause ware thus resulting in expensive repairs that could possibly have been averted if oils were changed! What is the chief reason we change engine oil, and quite frequently at that???? Why??? The same reasoning applies to any oil fluid lubricant..As I mentioned, Mercedes Benz employs afilter for all their power steeringcars and there is a reason why. I am just trying to be ahead of the curb. Edit...Curve[&:]

Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

I'm struggling with this question also. I need to top off my steering fluid and read the
warning on the cap specifing mineral type only. Since my Audi dealer is an hour away,
I checked with my local NAPA part store and they carried Pentosin CHF 11S. I've used
this in my BMW and was told it was fine.

However, in reading the label on the can, it says this about mixing with CHF 7.1.....

Quote:
"Pentosin CHF 11S is compatible with PENTOSIN CHF 202, but do NOT(yes, NOT is bold on the can) mix with PENTOSIN CHF 7.1 or any other hydraulic oils."

Looks like I'll be driving an hour to get a can of Audi steering fluid.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

Consider the above to be the Bible of AUDI hydraulic oil. Do it wrong and you will experience the oily HELL of leaks and spending gobs of money. For those that have already transgressed - repent and hope you asked for forgiveness soon enough.

Quick Reply: Is Synthetic Power steering fluid ok?