Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie rods? control arms? experts help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:12 AM
1st Gear
Default tie rods? control arms? experts help please.

ok so this morning ( i live on long island) we got hit with the lastest winter storm, first it snowed a few inches then it rained and snow+ rain=slush + freezing = ice, so i was driving around a curve right around the block from my house, the curve was completely covered in ice and i slid into the curb, long story short, my front right wheel is now turned to the rightwhile the front left is straight (I was turning toward the left on the curve and the wheel was completely turned left) so now im pulling to the right like crazy, my guess is my tie rod is bent, i took a look, and it looks a little bent (the weather was ridiculous so i didnt get too good a look outside lol), hoping that nothing else is bent do you think replaceing the bent TRE not the whole assembly would do the trick since the complete tie rod assemble includes an end and a ball joint end( and maybe there was no bending past that ball joint?) i apologize for lack of a better explanation, im going to take a better look at it tomorrow, thanks for any help.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: tie rods? control arms? experts help please.

How's your steering wheel? Is it straight or off to one side?

Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

yep, in order to stay straigh t i have to keep my wheel turned to the left

Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Get that to a shop. It will be new control arms and tie rods for one side. They shouldn't have to replace the steering assembly, Good luck.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

ditto that...shouldnt be the control arms if youre lucky, just the tirod ends.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

It could be your inner and outer tie rod end. I won't be surprised if you need to change the control arms, Audi control arms are aluminium (weak stuff) they will bend with any-given impact.
Based on what you have given Iamguessing the point of impact was you bottom portion of the wheel (including your tire and rims). This would flex your upper two control arms outwards and lower two control arms inwards resulting in stretching your tie rods out, buckling rightwhere the outter Tie rod bolts on the inner Tie Rod.
If tie roddid stretch out than thereis a slimchances thatyour rack and pnion seal would have been damaged. How to determin that is first your steering would be harder andcheck forfluid leak.
Control arm kits sells for about$300 (this includes 8 control arms and 2 outter Tie rods and the inner tie rod sells for about $60 pair both of these are available on ebay.Search for "Audi Control Arms" and " Audi inner Tie Rod" if not than try www.audicarparts.com.
Good luck. If you need help with installation instruction let me know, I'll post some infor from my bently. Its very easy to replace control arms and tie rods. If you choose to do it yourself.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:50 PM
SF8
1st Gear

My right and left front control arms have cracked rubber bushings. My questions are as follows:
1) Is it safe to drive the car this way?
2) How does thie affect the driving performance?
3) How many miles can I drive the car in this condition?
4) How much will parts and labor cost?
5) Where should I buy the control arms?

Your feedback is appreciated

SF8

Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
3rd Gear

I get most of my Audi parts (New and used) from Chris Semple at Force Five Auto in Concord NH 603-223-6700. Due to a lack of time and the cost of gasoline I am nowhaving him ship the parts to me most of the time.- But once in a while I get to see his smiling face!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

Is there somewhere that shows how to shoot grease into the bushings?