Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Broke - should I repair 2001 A6 2.7T with 165k miles

Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt Broke - should I repair 2001 A6 2.7T with 165k miles

Its been a long time since I've visited...so long in fact that I had to re-register...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this...I did a search but the advice on the timing belts was technical as opposed to this rather subjective question which is should I have the repair done (first quote was from a reputable shop that indicated it would rebuild the engine for 3k)

The belt broke when I returned from vacation in August and tried to start the car. Very frustrating as I had asked my repair guy whether I should replace at the 160k maintenance and he said no (yes I should have insisted).

Ive owned the car since inception and treated it well but driven it hard. I consider the car to be in very good condition but not quite excellent. Prior to this, repairs had started to build over the past 2 years 9suspension issues, fuel pump needed, etc.)

I procrastinated as my son lent me his '01 S4 but is selling his other ride and now wants it back.

Again any help is appreciated.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

Are those the original turbos on your 2.7t? If so, I don't think this would be worth it. I have heard some people driving around with over 200k on their stock turbos, but you are only taking a gamble before one of them goes. They aren't cheap to repair, nor are they easy to service and replace.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

thanks - they are the stock turbos although I do have a spare set of stock turbos from the S4...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

Assuming you had the job done for $3,000, there are still a lot of components that are still in the car with 165,000 miles on them. If a turbo needs to be changed out, the engine basically needs to come out. I have heard people somehow swapping out turbos without taking the engine out, but those stories are few and far between and I question how true they are.

To me, this is a very big investment. $3,000 is a good size down payment on a new car - granted not a whole lot. but it's still enough to drive off the lot with a new car.

If I were you, I would not have a shop do this repair. If you have the skills to do so, then doing this job on your own maybe worth it. Be forewarned, this isn't for the faint of heart.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Certified

re-valving the heads should be done by someone who is skilled not just with Audi's but the 2.7T... I wouldn't let "my tech" do anything but brakes and oil changes

Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jakesdogs
Its been a long time since I've visited...so long in fact that I had to re-register...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this...I did a search but the advice on the timing belts was technical as opposed to this rather subjective question which is should I have the repair done (first quote was from a reputable shop that indicated it would rebuild the engine for 3k)

The belt broke when I returned from vacation in August and tried to start the car. Very frustrating as I had asked my repair guy whether I should replace at the 160k maintenance and he said no (yes I should have insisted).

Ive owned the car since inception and treated it well but driven it hard. I consider the car to be in very good condition but not quite excellent. Prior to this, repairs had started to build over the past 2 years 9suspension issues, fuel pump needed, etc.)

I procrastinated as my son lent me his '01 S4 but is selling his other ride and now wants it back.

Again any help is appreciated.
Is that the Original timing belt that snapped? If not, at what miles was the belt replaced at?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear

While agree that $3k is not chump change, using it as a down payment tells me you are looking at 36-48 months of car payments. Run that total out. The real question is whether the car is in good enough shape that a $3k engine rebuild is not a throw-away. If the engine is out and apart, it might make sense to throw in the S4 turbos assuming they are newish. I have 210k on my A6 and constantly debate with myself whether I would rebuild the turbos if they failed. If I did not, I would be left with a parts car and would have to spend $25-30k for a newer Audi; and if I repaired it I would spend $3-4k and be driving a 10 year old Audi in very good shape with hopes of making it to 300k or more. Right now I am leaning towards a repair if and when that time comes.