Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Default transmission fluid change

I have a 2000 A6 Quattro with 132000 miles. I bought it when it had 98000. I was told that the transmission fluid never needed to be changed. Should I change the fluid? It hasn't been shifting as smoothly. I was told byan audi mechanic that it would hurt my car if I changed it. Since the transmission fluid has never been changed. I need every ones opinion.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Default RE: transmission fluid change

Fluid means oil?
My indie mechanic (he was audi dealer mechanic for little over 10yrs before he openned his own shop 3 yrs ago) told me audi recomended 100k or 110k mile tranny oil change but he would never do that.
He said he would change tranny oil every 50-60k miles to have longer tip tranny life.
I recently changed tranny oil at 69k for his recomendation, it was good choice.
Shifting is much smoother now.

K.J

Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Site Moderator

As kingjin stated, the fluid should be changed on ANY transmission known to man at least every 60k, CVT's every 40k.
The mechanic probably didn't have the correct tools to change the fluid or he is just a moron.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Bull.........Every automatic transmission should receive a change of the spec'd fluid within, or well before, 30k. Today, car manufacturers are selling the idea of 100k free maintenance to sell cars. After 100k miles, which even the cheapest KIA can marathon, the car mfg's only want to sell the populous a new generation of cars. Mostnew car buyersdon't keep a car beyond 100k, and they know that.

The second hand owner is not included in their specs.........

It is best for an automatictransmission to recieve 30k fluid changes, and you may do this for 300k miles without issue, but if you never change fluid before 100k, changing it could result in terminal failure, not long after thefluid change......Reason: periodic fluid changes..30k..keep a transmission free of old fluid gumming due to accumulation of wear particles, aging of fluid etc.

With the idea sold that there shall be no need for tranny fluid changes, most cars now will never see a fluid change before 100k which by then may be too late. I guess anyone wanting to change their tranny fluid with over 100k may be taking chances.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: IDUA ORTTAUQ 6A

Bull.........Every automatic transmission should receive a change of the spec'd fluid within, or well before, 30k. Today, car manufacturers are selling the idea of 100k free maintenance to sell cars. After 100k miles, which even the cheapest KIA can marathon, the car mfg's only want to sell the populous a new generation of cars. Mostnew car buyersdon't keep a car beyond 100k, and they know that.

It is best for an automatictransmission to recieve 30k fluid changes, and you may do this for 300k miles without issue, but if you never change fluid before 100k, changing it could result in terminal failure, not long after thefluid change......Reason: periodic fluid changes..30k..keep a transmission free of old fluid gumming due to accumulation of wear particles, aging of fluid etc.

With the idea sold that there shall be no need for tranny fluid changes, most cars now will never see a fluid change before 100k which by then may be too late. I guess anyone wanting to change their tranny fluid with over 100k may be taking chances.
30K? What hole did you pull that information from? Sure changing the fluid every 30k would be ideal, but considering the dealer charges well over $300 just to change the fluid it might become a pricey maintance plan there IMHO

Old 09-10-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

30K? What hole did you pull that information from? Sure changing the fluid every 30k would be ideal, but considering the dealer charges well over $300 just to change the fluid it might become a pricey maintance plan there IMHO
Hey keep it quiet, but I snuk in the back door here, I'm one of those sub-humans that actually change their own engine and transmission oils! So please don't be offended by my post! I am also a marine mechanic and work on engines bigger than your house, excuse me again, what do I know?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

$300? Try $900 in South Florida, but I found a transmissions only shop that did it for $250, not a flush tho, just tranny oil + filter change. $250 every 2 years does not seem bad, so yes Im doing them every 30k miles.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: teranenrique

$300? Try $900 in South Florida, but I found a transmissions only shop that did it for $250, not a flush tho, just tranny oil + filter change. $250 every 2 years does not seem bad, so yes Im doing them every 30k miles.
That is a flush!

Flushing is not analogise to colon, or toilet, or sludge, invented by the ad campaign. A fluid and filter change is what is performed ultimately and will include a new pan gasket. Big profits made here......it is a task that requires minimal mentality, but does not include thelazy, or so money laden that the task is below them! I'm appealing to the DIY people who desire saving money, money so they can enjoy some of the aspects of the others here who are wealthy enough to have their cars messaged, the few years they own them, and post here only as a show & tell show in order to be one-up on you!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator

Except you have to buy the tools to DIY, if you buy the 17mm allan socket, VAS fill tool, and get the VAG COM software to monitor the transmission temp, your still spending close to $1,000 just to change your fluid. [:'(]

Old 09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Except you have to buy the tools to DIY, if you buy the 17mm allan socket, VAS fill tool, and get the VAG COM software to monitor the transmission temp, your still spending close to $1,000 just to change your fluid. [:'(]
OK, as I mentioned, and it is not of fault, not until now, I have not , never, heard of such elaboricy for changing transmission fluid! As I recognize you as a professional with respect to Audi, my ignorant ears are now listening! I have also heard that the transmission fluid needs to be pre-heated to over 100+ degrees upon application........never have I heard this before...............ZF, Twin Disc, Mercedes Benz, are but a few tranny builders that I deal with, none require as elaborate for fluid change........Sooner is always better, but in the case of a high milage tranny that never received a fluid change, I have heard stories of failure as a result of fluid change.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change