Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mechanical problems not sure of problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
1st Gear
Default mechanical problems not sure of problem

when I cut the wheel and touch the gas the car make a clicking noise also sometimes when i tap the gas the tranny hits hard and it doesn't go for a split second any suggestions on what this could be?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Here we go again --

You have to give us lots more info --
Year options, motor, transmission etc.
Then do a bit more explaining

Old 09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

wow your right i totally forgot 2000 audi a6 2.7t

Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

With transmission or not?

Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default problem

The clicking could be your front axle. Without proper lube or if badly worn, they will "pop" or click, especially under load (that means: while giving it a little throttle, in a slow, tight-turn radius), you might want to check your axle boots for tears or openings that might allow water to enter. A rip in your axle boot will allow debris (water) to enter the joint and cause premature failure.
The trans. down-shift hesitation issue, seems to be a common theme amongst the pages of this forum. My 2000 4.2, also does this. I have a fresh rebuild and have completed the TB adaption, yet when slowing and/or nearing a stop condition, the transmission changes gears (or seems to) just as the vehicle nears a complete stop. And, if you decide to accelerate at the moment just before you've come to a complete stop, just as the trans. seems to "down shift", there is a slight hesitation.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

yeah the clicking is typical CV joint failure .. and could even by slack causing the lag and jolt ... time far some axle stands and a look see ..

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

Ya all made the assumption it is Quattro - what happens if it 2WD?

It could be the front CV joint but it could be the backing plate hitting or even brake pads flopping.

Damn - we need input - need input -- like in more information..

How about acorns in the belly pan?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear

Perhaps an assumption it's an Audi as well?

READ THE NOOBIE RULES BEFORE POST!!!!

This kind of ignorance should not be tolerated - no answers deserved!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default well

Originally Posted by nemohm
Perhaps an assumption it's an Audi as well?

READ THE NOOBIE RULES BEFORE POST!!!!

This kind of ignorance should not be tolerated - no answers deserved!
I guess the real question is: what kind of ignorance should be tolerated here?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
3rd Gear

nemohm has his panties in a bunch but I don't blame him. We all go thru phases where we want to help but get tired of the crap, misinformation, and general stupidity.

People come here and ask questions without giving any details. They expect us to be psychic. There are big differences between model years, motors, options, etc.

Some ask questions and then cop an attitude when they don't get the answer they want.

Others ask stupid questions that don't deserve answers.

Let's see --- hmmmm My Audi runs great but I am concerned that the tires might wear out in the next 5,000 miles. Should I tune to a different radio station with louder music so I can't hear the tires if they go flat.

Or There is a rattle in my glove box. I'm not sure what to do! It is pink and I really want a boy - not a girl. Should I replace it with a blue one?

How about - I've got a clicking noise at the front of my vehicle. It only happens when I turn the wheel to the left and I'm on a gravel driveway. Should I stop driving on dirt?

I really loved the one where someone asked if we could tell him where to purchase oil for his vehicle .

Then there are the -"I've got $2,000 to spend on a Vehicle and want to buy an Audi because it is a chick magnet. I found one for $2,500 than needs a new motor. Do you think I can talk the guy down to $1,500, find a motor for $450, and install it for $50? BTW - My friend has a $20 Sears tool set and he is willing to help me.

or The check engine light is blinking - Please tell me what is wrong!

Quick Reply: mechanical problems not sure of problem