Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission in Limp Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Default Transmission in Limp Mode?

New to the Forum. Looks like there are a lot of Audi people here and a lot of info. I'm hoping that someone can help me.

I have a 2002 Audi A6 Quattro with the Sportronic Transmission. While driving in slow moving traffic, transmission seemed to be slipping, would not come out of 3rd gear, and basically could not get over 20MPH.
*was previously driving in slushy snow in the area of my job. Drove 40 minutes on the highway with no problems.
Found it to be pretty strange to have the tramsnission acting up and not have any kind of sensor or warning light.

After about no more than 5 to 10 minutes of this I brought the car to a stop near a legal parking spot. Once stopped, all of the gear selection lights turned to a block of red and the check engine light came on. At this point the car would not go back into gear. It when shifted into gear, it simply acts as if it is in neutral.

Does anyone have an idea of what my problem might be and how to resolve it? It is the holidays and I work 2 jobs....being without this car would not be good! Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Default RE: Transmission in Limp Mode?

Check for puddles. Once you lose 2-3 qts of Trans fluid you will not catch gears.

I had a trans line seal go on me a month or so ago and it went on the highway. It stayed in gear, until I got off the highway. Once I stopped it wouldnt move. I had it fixed by some jerk off who ripped the O ring on the way in and slowly lost more and more Trans fluid. It just got slushy as the days went on.

If your a6 is anything like mine, it needs to be on a lift in order to chekc the fluid. Bring into a garage with Audi Experience. Parts will probably be cheap, and its worth the labor to have it done right the 1st time.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 AM

Although I park on the street (and not in a driveway), I'm pretty observant of everything around my car and i'm usually parked in the same two or three spots. Haven't noticed any leakage. Definitely noticed that the trans was shifting just a slight bit harder than it usually does over the last maybe week or two. However, it has 85k miles on it and is going on six years old, so it just attributed it to the veh. getting old. I'm hopeful that this "limp mode" is a safety feature which engages before any real damage can get done. This sounds like something that a high end vehicle should have....but then again i'm also hearing that there are electrical parts which can also get wet and cause a similar problem (and that sounds like something that a high end vehicle should NOT have).

Thank you very much for the reply. Either way I will get back on and update the forum as to how this turns out. Someone else may be able to benefit from the info.

Thanks again. Happy holidays.

Jason

Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 PM

"High End" cars are not high end to be easy to own. They are made to be fun/comfortable to drive. I ma pretty sure that 90% of the people here can tell you that Audi's can be one of the most problematic cars to own.

If you want a car that is never going to have problems...get a Toyota.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Default PROBLEM RESOLVED

A great Mechanic in Clifton, NJ from Jorge and Jack Enterprises, who specializes in Audi, VW, Porshce....found my AT Pan functured and I was completely
drained of all fluid. He replaced the pan, gasket, filter and all fluids and thank god no damage to the trans.

These are honest guys who have a lot of Audi experience. Was referred to them by a friend and they had me fixed up in one day. Every bay in their garage is full and
the entire lot is full. These guys know their **** and honesty goes a long way!! If your from the Northeast....specifically NJ....and you are out of warranty....you want to get to know these guys. They are on Crooks Ave in Clifton.

Thanks for any and all posts. Much appreciated.