Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission range sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission range sensor

I currently had a issue arise last night while on the highway going to work. The car has been idling very weird and sometimes have to feather gas to start. The secondary air pump is no good and the temp sensor also. While on the highway I was in tip-tronic And it went in a limp mode of some sorts because it was in 4th gear and the automatic dials highlighted in red. The cluster bearly works because of recall years back and can only see it at night or when it's very cold out. I was told it def is the trans range sensor and I was wondering if its a easy swap since the part is dealer only and 540 bucks. Also the car resets back to regular mode when i pull over and shut it off and restart the car. Thanks alot need help

Last edited by Mark(A6-A4)Ct; 03-18-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

I had this same problem on the weekend, except I wasn't in tip tronic. I was on the highway and it dropped from 6th to 4th and stayed in fourth. Went into limp mode, but when I turned it off and back on it went back to normal. It's going in tomorrow morning to get checked, but when I had the code read it also came up as transmission range sensor.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

Yeah not only is it doing that but I noticed when on the highway if I don't press gas petal far down it won't go into limp mode. Also when I start it up its idling like crap and almost wants to stall out, when i come up to a stop it does the same thing, it only idles way under 1,000 RPM and when I'm driving and let up off the gas it hunts really bad like it wants to cut out.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

I was reading about a guy changing the sensor on a A4 2.8 2003 I believe and it wasn't a quick sensor swap. It was pretty detailed and he needed a few torques. Trying to find out if its any easier for my 99".

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

I don't have to idle problem you're talking about. Maybe when I first start it up in the morning, but once it's warmed up it stays at just below 1,000 rpm. But my car also doesn't go into limp mode as long as i don't press the gas hard on the highway. Honestly, I'm hoping it's just the transmission sensor and nothing too major. The mechanic I talked to on the phone sounded fairly confident it was something electrical and not mechanical. Mine is an 06' and I cannot find the part for sale online for the life of me. I heard someone say it's a dealer only part.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Yes it is just a dealer part I'm sorry to say. For me 560 bucks plus the labor but not from Audi from a ex Audi tech. I heard a few reviews of a few guys buying the trans range sensor from a website but normally when it's a dealer part it's a dealer part. Unless these places are taking off used salvaged sensors which most salvage yards well around here in ct don't and won't do or sell.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Hopefully this mechanic I'm taking it to today can at least order the part from the dealer if nothing else. I'm interested to hear back exactly what it is

Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

That should be p/n 01V-919-821-D for an 01 and older A6 with V6 engine. Retail 540.00 and your price 401.76 plus 10-13 dollars shipping UPS ground. In stock too. This is the switch on the side of the trans where the selector shaft comes through the transmission. You should have an 8 pin connector on yours. We sell OEM Audi parts. Any questions please ask. Thank you, Jeff.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Does this sound like the problem though? I asked the same question on another forum and they seem to think its a Mechatronik (TCU). But I can't find ANYTHING about Audi A6's and TCU's

Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Depends on the trans in your car. A fwd CVT trans has a control module built inside the tailshaft of that trans that is around 1800.00 to replace, mechatronic trans do have their issues but are fwd applications also. Looking at your transmission you have the traditional valve body type parts. No control modules/computers like the fwd model transmissions have that do cause problems. I googled and found posts listing the printed circuit board and or the strip with the magnets in it as a possible area of concern for your symptoms. Did your mechanic mention anything about replacing parts under the automatic shift lever console area?

Quick Reply: Transmission range sensor