Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U joint replacement?

Old 10-25-2014, 07:39 PM
1st Gear
Default U joint replacement?

Car is an facelift 01 a6 4.2. I've spent twice what I paid for the car in parts already and this thing is starting to really discourage me. Probably spent over 10g's basically rebuilding the car(brake calipers, rotors, pads, cv shafts all around, new front and rear suspension, control arms, engine+trans mounts,wheel bearings, trans fluid and filter, etc etc) the thing that has kept me going is body is in good shape and engine and trans have had only minor issues. Just recently my center u joint has been clanking pretty bad. Doing my research I've found that there is no u joint listed for the car.... Anywhere. I'm not buying a whole drive shaft for a $10 peice. I'm a mechanic and have done all work myself so atleast I've managed to escape labour costs. The fact that I can get a reman driveshaft tells me the parts are available somewhere. Anybody know a part number or u joint from another vehicle that works in this application? I live in Canada and so it's hard to find parts at a scrap yard. Any suggestions before I drive this thing into the river? Lol

Old 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

I'm pretty sure it's the carrier bearing and not the 'U' joint. I replaced the whole shaft with a rebuilt which included a new bearing. Easy to do and about $500. Unless you have a machine shop it's going to be tough to rebuild yours. Everything is all swedged together.

Do a Google search for "audi center shaft carrier bearing" and you'll see what you need if you decide to try it yourself.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, it is actually the u joint not the support bearing which I know is uncommon for these cars so that's just my luck lol. But I will be ordering a remanned drive shaft from wholesale imports. Once that gets here I will be rebuilding my old one. I see how it's put together and it will be s pain in the butt but not impossible. I really appreciate the post tho, glad someone replied!!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 AM
1st Gear

When you drop the old drive shaft you will also find 2 brass spacers between the carrier bearing bracket and the body. Don't get them mixed up and make sure they go back in when you reassemble. Critical.

There is a tool that holds the center shaft in alignment when installing it but if you are careful you can get by without it. Some guys make their own with pieces of angle iron and some clamps.

Just make sure that you get the CV joints at both ends seated correctly and OBTW it will be a greasy mess.

Have fun!