Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIbrating Steering wheel at high speeds

Old 06-11-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear
Default VIbrating Steering wheel at high speeds

Hi, I have this problem where my steering wheel starts to vibrate very violently when I exceed 65 mph on the highway. When I go down in speed, the vibrating stops again
Any idea what could be the problem?

Also, sometimes when I turn the steering wheel there is a whining sound, like the power steering is struggling to work. Any ideas on how I can fix this as well?

1 other small problem, the suspension feels like it is very bouncy, sometimes when I go over bumps, the car boucnes up and down 3-4 times before coming to a halt. DO I ened new shocks or new springs?

Let me know, thanks in advance

Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: VIbrating Steering wheel at high speeds

How many miles are on your car? Sounds to me like you need new shocks. You also need to have your tires balanced. Check the fluid level of your ps fluid(uses special fluid of course), but ps pumps do slightly whine.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeffla

How many miles are on your car? Sounds to me like you need new shocks. You also need to have your tires balanced. Check the fluid level of your ps fluid(uses special fluid of course), but ps pumps do slightly whine.
Ditto!

OOOO

Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
3rd Gear

The standard test for worn shocks used to be pushing down hard on each corner of the car. If it bounced even oncerather than returning to normal height, then your shocks need replacement.

Any steering problems at speed are probably due to one or more wheels out of balance. But you could also have an alignment problem causing uneven wear which could contribute. If you haven't ever checked, have the car aligned and then the wheels speed balanced. I aligned my car in at 96k because my Coopers were cupping slightly and the alignment was toed in just enough to cause the problem.

Also, rotate your tires (front to rear) regularly.

Agree with Joeski on the P/S. There is often a slight whine from the various spinning components. If you notice P/S fluid leakingor disappearingor it gets real difficult to turn, then you knowthe unitis failing. You can drive it without P/S, but it will build up your arm muscles quickly.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

dido...also check your ball joints and your wheel bearing to be on the safe side

Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

I Have 99 A6 and the same thing happened- The inner front tires wore down to the steel belt-Take the tires off and check them out- I replaced tires and got an alignment- Runs great now.Get your alignment done by a quality shop that has worked on Audi's-

Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

check tire balance if no then its the servotronic steering. mine does that. push it towards 100 and it goes away. it only does it in a window, not below or above