Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are my options here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default What are my options here?

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro with 103k miles for 4 grand from a dealer.

It has a couple of issues:
1. There's no lock, so the fob doesn't work and I have no way of locking it. I'm getting this fixed under my own cost which is pretty cheap. The dealer said he sold it 'as is' for cheap because the lock was broken. When I called up to ask about the fob not working they said get a battery, so alarm bells started going off there given they didn't even bloody realise the lock wasn't in the drivers door when I returned the car to have them take a look.
2. The check engine light just came on. I'm pretty sure I smell burning oil as well.
3. The clock inside said it needs a service in 2,000 miles.

So right now the car is with these guys who come highly recommended from Audi owner friends of mine: Apex Tuning | Repair Service & Tuning for your VW & Audi | Raleigh, Durham & Cary

I have asked them to do a full diagnostic to determine wtf is up with this car.
Questions:
1. Given that I just bought this thing, can I return it IF there's lots wrong with it?
2. I have a 6 month warranty which I'm told does not cover the door for the reasons cited above. Do I have much of a leg to stand on if the guy says "well it was cheap because all of that crap is wrong with it"?
3. I imagine it will need a new timing belt soon. I found a car with 115k for 5999 - should I just return this car and get that one?

The dealer did say that the warranty doesn't even kick in yet because I just bought the car and he seemed ok about me returning it if there's lots wrong with it - but I'm worried at this point.

What would you guys do? It sounds to me like they didn't bother to service or inspect the car to begin with.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

Hmmm... I personally am hard headed and would roll up my sleeves and begin working on it. Mine has become a project to rectify all the little things that the previous let go. If you aren't confident of your mechanical abilities then perhaps you should look into returning it and before actually purchasing another one have someone in the know evaluate its condition... However ive been around these cars for awhile and the simple truth is that theyre expensive to maintain and even if you find one in good (better) shape you will spend a lot to keep it up over the course of ownership but the payoff is worth it if you respect a smooth ride and comfort is on your priority list. Good luck and these forums are an invaluable resource.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Lets get back to the point that the dealer said that the warranty didn't kick in yet. That should've been a MAJOR red flag to get out of dodge.

Just reading your post makes me want to return the car and get the other one.

UNLESS you are dying in love with the one you bought, or for other reasons you are stuck with it, ditch it and get the other.

But as Rob above pointed out, if you are inclined to start working on it, go for it. It can be a frustrating and rewarding experience to build something up

Old 11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear

Where do I even start? First off, I put almost 200k on my 2.7T, so I have some experience with these things. Fixing the door lock will be a pita - I think you will need to get a lock off a junker but then you'll be stuck for the mechanical key. The ignition and door key won't match.

The burning oil smell could be normal for hot turbos or the sign of bad things to come. Without service records, it's a crap shoot. The service warning could be nothing more than it is due for an oil change. It may be due or not for a TB (normally between 80-90k) but w/o records you don't know. Figure $1000 for the work from an indie shop and more from a dealer. If it has not been done, you are on borrowed time. If the belt or tensioner go, you are out an engine.

Based on the price of cars you are looking out, it seems you have a tight budget. Unless you are a very handy DIYer, this is not an entry level car for someone without a few thousand spare dollars in case something goes wrong (or is already wrong). Honestly - I love Audis and own three - I suggest you return it and find something a lot less complicated and more reliable. When you can afford it, go out and buy a newer Audi.

I'd offer to sell mine to you, but the reason I just bought a 2011 A4 is that I no longer trust the A6 for those long drives. The A/C is shot, the rear drivers window sticks, the front doors don't completely close every time, the tranny synchros seem to be wearing (it does not shift as smoothly as it used to), the cats through codes but were replaced a while ago -- but it still runs great and has fantastic power. It will become my winter beater so I can store my daughter's A4 and minimize the bad-weather driving in my newer one.