Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to flush the fluids and tune up on your 2007 Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 03:18 AM
1st Gear
Question When to flush the fluids and tune up on your 2007 Audi A6

Hi i just wanted to check with the forum members recommendation on flushing fluids in the car and doing a tune up.

How often do you change you spark plugs i changed mines the service maintenance suggest change it at 120K or 2015 i am only at 108700 Miles
Sparks plugs changed 79K
Next 120k or 2015

I changed the brake fluid at 80K the service manual suggests i should have flushed it by Oct is that unsafe for me going over the recommended time period but not over the recommended mileage
Brake fluid changed 80K

Next Brake Fluid Change 10/29/14
Next flush 110K

The Coolant was flushed 80K and there isn't any advisement on when to change it i am currently at 109K miles rounded up.

Last thing how often do you guys change your air filter under the hood i have not seen any dirt dust of matter to change it but i always like to change it just for sake of necessity if it is necessary.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear

Some of your questions are "it depends". The air filter will depend on driving conditions and mileage, but before K&N I was changing every couple years. Plugs at 100k; transmission and differentials approx 60k; brake fluid every 2-4 years (again, depending on mileage). I was doing coolant with TB change (~80k) on 2003s but with a chain on the 2011, it will probably be every 100k.

There is no danger in going over the interval for brake fluid flush. Audi is being very very conservative even requiring it. The risk is moisture in the fluid which can impact brake pressure and/or result in internal rust. My A6 calls for a flush every 2 years and, honestly, with 236k on the clock I have probably only done it 2-3 times.

I tend to do preventive maintenance based on mileage, not the calendar. The only exception is I like to do oil changes at least once per year if mileage is low. I used to drive 30k+/yr on the A6 and now it is down to ~6k/yr, so it gets one oil change. If you do a lot of stop/go driving and short trips, then I would change the oil more frequently to avoid the build up of moisture in the oil. Or take it out and run it hard and hot once per week to get the oil over 212 so any moisture boils out.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

236k miles wow. Thank you so much for the information I will at least change the brake fluid once more since I put brakes on or I can probably wait till I put the rear brakes and rotors on not sure but I will be flushing the Power steering fluid because I have never done it since I've owned the car. When did you buy that Audi with how many miles on it just curious I intend to keep this one over 300 K plus miles if possible

Old 07-07-2015, 09:54 AM
3rd Gear

I bought it in 2005 with 37k miles from a private seller who previously owned an S4 and took good care of it. I did all maintenance through a local indie shop. The first five years I was driving >30k miles/year highway, which probably contributed to the high mileage but low issues. At 75k I chipped it and at 85k I replaced the clutch and flywheel, related to the extra power of chipping. I replaced the cats at 180k which was a waste of money since it was running fine and the new cats did not solve the CEL. She still runs good and has plenty of power, but the body is starting to rust along the lower body molding and fenders due to heavy winter driving on salted roads. Also minor issues with doors occasionally not shutting properly, one rear window not always working correctly, a whine from the P/S pump. Combining the decline and age with a need for reliability (I often take 2000 mile vacation drives from MI to east coast) forced me into the 2011 A4 (which also gets spectacular gas mileage ~31 mpg highway vs 23-24 with the A6) and I am using the A6 as a winter beater.