Audi A7 Athletic, elegant and dramatic, the Audi A7 is a five-door coupe with the graceful look of a benchmark luxury sedan.

A7 Break Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 PM
1st Gear
Default A7 Break Wear

Hey guys, I have a 2012 A7 picked up new 11/2011. I drive a fair amount 58K so far, but think that my break wear (rotors particularly) has been ridiculous. I am about to replace the rear pads and rotors for the second time and the fronts were replaced about 12 K miles ago ( and yes, they are worn out.) The dealer says that Audi puts "softer" rotors on the A7 because they were getting a lot of complaints about squeaking from their owners of other models, and that this leads to early wear. Seems odd that I replaced pads only front and back and never the rotors on my 1st gen S5 with the same milage. I realize living in Pittsburgh I deal with more hills than most and this increases wear, but I slow down using my paddle shifters first, breaks second (like I would a manual tranny), and even my old 1999 Lexus LX470 (over 5000 lbs) didn't eat up breaks like this. It also seems very odd that its the rear brakes that are requiring replacement so quickly. Has anyone had this experience as well, is this usual for this vehicle, or is this an issue I should be fighting the dealer about? Lastly, are there any replacement brake manufacturers that would be recommended that might last longer work as well or better, and cost a little less? Don't get me wrong, the brakes arent breaking my bank, but if I can get equal or better for less, I would be a fool not to. I look forward to any input.- Paul

Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

WOW, not even 1 reply. I was hoping some of the Audi mechanics (and I know you are here) would have some insight for me.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Well, I WAS an Audi tech until a little over a year ago when I went to an indy to save my sanity

OEM brakes (brakes not breaks, sorry I know it's not a spelling course here) are always a compromise between noise, dust, wear and stopping ability in every climate and every geographic location for every person that might buy that particular vehicle. I mean all makes, not just Audi.

That said, I would maybe check like EBC Brakes. They have many different compounds to suit your specific driving style and terrain and rotors too.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

I have the same car, a 2014 A7. Bear in mind this is a vehicle with weight behind it and like all Audis they all bear Hi-performance brake pads and rotors. The quattro system also is an pro-active system so regardless if you don't even brake often, the quattro system applies braking to the rear wheels, left or right when needed when demands control, traction and stability, multiply that by your driving style/habits and road conditions.

But to answer your question as alternative pads, I don't know. But try EBC and ask them for a harder compound which will last longer but noise and performance is at your risk.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys for the input but its not the pads that are killing me, its the rotors. Getting ready to place a third set of rear rotors (including the originals and I just turned 60 k miles. Im a spirited driver but not aggressive, and I use the paddle shifters to slow down. In addition while in traffic I put it in sport mode so it stays in a lower gear hence protecting the brakes as well. Any thoughts? BTW my email notification didn't work so I never knew you guys replied (sorry and Im happy I checked back)