Audi A7 Athletic, elegant and dramatic, the Audi A7 is a five-door coupe with the graceful look of a benchmark luxury sedan.

A7, Prestige, Innovation Package, Havana Black

Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 AM
1st Gear
Default A7, Prestige, Innovation Package, Havana Black

I'd never envisioned myself in a black car. That said, especially in the sunlight the depth and metallic glints within this paint finish is stunning. Coupled with the brown (which doesn't really describe the lush deep burgundy color) leather interior, it's an amazingly beautiful car.

A few first impressions:

Had it for about a week and I love the way it drives and the technologies within. I especially love the Google Earth overlay on the nav system. The night vision camera is fascinating; I haven't tested it yet with a willing human victim (er, volunteer) but it does outline humanoid shapes in parking lots and alleges to "red box" them and provide a warning if a humanoid shape lies within the projected path of the car. (I just wish it also detected animals -- I saw someone hit a deer once; not good for either of them.)

The LED headlights are superb and, if the high beams are off a cornering light comes on as you begin to turn the wheel into a turn (not triggered by the turn signal). I haven't experimented with the other two light buttons yet.

I too find the control **** turns backwards, and wish for an option!

Overall I like the nav system, but one thing frustrates me -- it generally "knows" the speed limit of a road segment (it displays an appropriate small speed limit sign), but the car's built-in overspeed warning is static -- you set the overspeed warning for a do-not-exceed speed, but there's no option to have an overspeed warning at x mph over the KNOWN speed for the current road segment. I miss that a lot, as the Navigon gps software on my iPhone does that. PLEASE Audi, a software update for this and the **** direction option?

It's nice that the audio from any source is muted a user-definable amount when a nav or other message is spoken, but I'd also like an option (as in Navigon) to recognize that some people listen to audio books and would like the option to pause playback during announcements -- works great in the iPhone with Navigon.

(Come to think of it, I wonder how much user-modding of the electronics will become available to support such ancillary control function modifications.)

I also wish that traffic info could be delivered over the Internet connection, and not via Siris radio -- I want the traffic info, but generally don't listen to the radio -- it will somewhat frost me to have to pay for the data connection to get the Google Earth and Google POI search info (that's a good value to me), but also the Sirius Radio subscription just for the traffic info.

Did have one problem -- the day after I brought it home I got the yellow Check Engine light (not called that, of course.) The dealer found the codes for Fuel Evaporative System, but could not find a specific cause. They replaced the fuel cap and sent the original to the Audi "Launch Team" to investigate. No further errors; hopefully it will stay that way.

Well, that's enough for now -- back to the car to explore more