Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

2004 A8L Air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A8L Air suspension problem

I have read most (if not all) issues with the air suspension, but mine is just a tat different. Over time, I have different issues, and here are some:
- front low both sides, rear up, yellow light on , green light blinking
- normal ride, both lights blinking
- Normal ride, none blinking, green comes on once in a while
- after shutting car off, front passenger side goes down quickly

I am hoping this is a relay as mentioned in other threads. I heard it is 373 12V40A. Where is the best place to get these part(s). As I would like to try these first.

Last, should I keep driving it?

Thank you for your help,
Ronald

Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like front passenger air spring is defective. the driver side will go down to equalize the ride height. If you notice the driver side stays a little higher than passenger side it's still ok. When you start the car the air pump will fill up the springs and ride is back to normal. But this will kill the air pump eventually. I have had both issues at 105K miles.

It's hard to tell where the issue is with the air ride system, but some say the control unit under the driver side back side of the wheel arch. I changed both the control unit and air pump and relay at the same time ($2000). As my pump gave in. But later found the driver side spring was losing air ($1500).

Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
1st Gear
Default Some additional information

Grease, thank you for the reply.

Some additional info:
- Lunchtime, everything normal
- Last night, everything normal
- this morning yellow on, green blinking, low front
- After getting gas (restart), everything normal.

It almost looks like it is worse after is sat overnight (guess more time for air to get out of the system)

So I am wondering, since it is intermittent, if it would truly be a leak, as I would suspect the issue would be there all the time?

Thank you,
Ronald

Old 10-15-2011, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

I had the same thing happen, and complete failure after one week from that stage, your air pump will fail or shut down when it over heats. The air pump is continuously pumping the spring up while you drive hence you don't see any issue whilst driving. But when this pump shuts down then the front end will look like it looks after over night. Believe me it will get worse and faster. I have a 2004 too, I guess it's as the car ages, these front springs are the first to go. You can keep going until it fails. I did driver side I my passenger side is still holding, but I suspect it's not to far behind perhaps next year, just spreading the cost of these expensive parts.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:22 PM
1st Gear
Default One (I mean 2) more question

Grease, thanks again for the reply.

I am not a mechanic, but have access to some guys that could do this work. Where can I get the parts for this, other than the Audi dealer?
Are there any parts stores recommended for the A8 in general?
I was able to get my hands on a parts manual, so it should not be to hard to figure out what I need.

Ronald

Old 10-15-2011, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

http://www.audiusaparts.com/ you can ind the advert on this site. Jeff is one I talk.

it's a pretty easy job you might want the check on those upper bushings while your guy is there they wear out too. but are cheap. Since he will have the spring out unit out.

Jag

Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Looks like the end is near

Well, Grease, looks like you are correct, it is now not going up much at all anymore. Problem is that I have been trying to purchase the Airspring, but do not know if I have the sport suspension or not. Cannot find any code stickers (manual or spare wheel well). Not sure how I can find the out what the right spring is that I need. Does a vin number help with this? WAUML44E04N024908

One good thing, the rear and the driver side are still working, so it has to be the passenger spring. I am going to park my love(although it is not giving me and love right now) and hope to find out what part I need soon.

Ronald

Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 AM
1st Gear
Default suspension

Originally Posted by rwhans007
Well, Grease, looks like you are correct, it is now not going up much at all anymore. Problem is that I have been trying to purchase the Airspring, but do not know if I have the sport suspension or not. Cannot find any code stickers (manual or spare wheel well). Not sure how I can find the out what the right spring is that I need. Does a vin number help with this? WAUML44E04N024908

One good thing, the rear and the driver side are still working, so it has to be the passenger spring. I am going to park my love(although it is not giving me and love right now) and hope to find out what part I need soon.

Ronald
according to your VIN you don't have sport suspension, this are the numbers you need
4E0-616-039-AF left side $1551.00
4E0-616-040-AF right side $1650.00

Attached Thumbnails 2004 A8L Air suspension problem-img_5970.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

looks like s4Master has answered your question. I think the sport suspension was an option on much later cars perhaps 2007 onwards.My 2004 has standard too.

How many miles do you have on that A8? mine on failed at around 108K.

It would be good for others know the life of one of these springs.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
1st Gear
Default failure at 145K

Thanks for all the responses, you all have been a great help!

Mine "failed" at 145k. The reason failed is in quotes, is because it has been fine since yesterday afternoon. No issue whatsoever.
I am really puzzled. If this would be a leak, either it would be pumping like crazy, or does not lift, right? Neither is happening.
At least I now know that I do not have a sport suspension.

Ronald

Quick Reply: 2004 A8L Air suspension problem