Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Starts and then cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Starts and then cuts out

Hi all I've got a 99 a8 4.2 it's developed a problem,it will start up for 2 seconds and then cut out I've had it pluged up to the computer and I got these codes.

Engine: 2 Faults Found:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30
***** P1602 - 35-10 - Voltage too Low - Intermittent* (Possibly)
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
***** P1570 - 35-00 -************************************ (More probably)
Repair Info: - (ONE)
17978/P1570/005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
Possible Symptoms
**************** Engine starting but stalling immediately
Possible Causes
************ Key(s) not matched
************ Instrument Cluster not matched
************ Engine Control Unit (ECU) not matched
************ Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply faulty
Possible Solutions
************ Check for Fault Codes in Immobilizer itself (part of Instrument Cluster in many cars, but separate Immobilizer Control Module in some)
************ Check Immobilizer Measuring Values (usually in Instrument Cluster OR Immobilizer Control Module)
************ Match Key(s)/Instrument Cluster/Engine Control Unit (ECU)
************ Check Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply (Relay)
Special Notes
************ In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experience an Immobilizer related Problem! Even if the Immobilizer engages, the Engine will still start fine but cut out after 2-3 Seconds. If you are NOT experiencing this behavior (e.g. Engine doesn't start at all) your Problem is very likely NOT Immobilizer related.
************ May be stored in Combination with 01176 - Key: Signal too Low in Immobilizer Control Module.
************ If no other immobilizer related fault codes are stored and the immobilizer related meas. blocks are fine except Engine Start not allowed, in rare occasions it helps to try cold-booting the car. Remove both battery cables from the battery. Short the battery cables together (away from the battery) for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the battery
Repair Info: - (TWO)
01176 - Key: Signal too Low Possible Symptoms
************ Malfunction Indicator Light (KEY) ON
Possible Causes
************ Immobilizer
****************** Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty
****************** Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty
****************** Immobilizer Transponder in Key faulty OR incorrect Transponder in Key
************ Remote Control
****************** Remote Control Battery low
****************** Remote Control faulty OR incorrect Remote Control used
Possible Solutions
************ Immobilizer
****************** Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil
****************** Check Key Immobilizer Transponder Status
************************* See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
****************** Check/Renew Immobilizer Key Matching
****************** Check/Replace Key
************ Remote Control
****************** Check/Replace Remote Control Battery
****************** Check/Replace Remote Control
*If anyone has had this problem and know how to fix it I would be very greatful.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Clear the codes, then try firing it up. You can rescan after a few starts if you need to and see what comes back. The fact that you're getting immobilized codes could be a red flag but you won't know unless you clear them and they come back.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Thanks I've done that and it's the same I've been told to take the leads of the battery and hold them together (not on the battery) for about 15 seconds to see if that works.
Cheers Dave

Old 06-29-2022, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi 2000 A8 Starts then stops

I have the same problem. Two years ago I isolated it to the instrument cluster and the Immobilizer. So I pulled the cluster and sent it to "Atlanta Speedometer". The tech found a crack in the circuit board from the power supply. Which looks like it matches the code. After I got it back and installed, it worked great. Two years later, I have the problem again. I suspect the same problem. But more so, why? I will pull it again and send it back. The tech really was great, but it might be a design issue. Also, I would hear a clicking sound. After the clicking, it would not start, and if I heard the click when the key was in the on position, engine not running. Then the engine would start and run.