Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Trunk Release Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Trunk Release Issues

I am the new owner of an '08 A8 and although I have had several Audi's in the past, I have never experienced something like this (my previous S4 and A6 didn't have automatic trunk lids).

When I hit the trunk release button on the driver's side map pocket, I hear a whirring sound for a few seconds coming from the trunk (like the lift motor is engaging), then a dramatic thump - but the trunk lid never opens. It almost sounds like there is some type of breakaway function where if the is something preventing the trunk lid from opening the motor doesn't damage itself?

Anyway, if I go outside and open the trunk lid from the trunk latch itself, the trunk lid lifts with no problem. If I shut it, go back inside the car, hit the trunk release button again, it opens with no problem. The next day I try to open the car from inside the car but the lid seems stuck again...

Any ideas of what could be causing this? I have checked some other threads and there seems to be some connection between exterior temperatures and trunk lid issues in earlier model cars - and it has been kinda cold (sub-freezing on and off) since I bought the car.

Thanks much!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 AM
1st Gear

Possibly the trunk actuator has gone bad.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Your lift motor is failing, and many have seen it get worse in low temps.

Mine is the opposite, it just flops back down in summer but works great in winter

There has been a great deal of discussion about this at AW forum and some have fixed bent hinges or replaced lift cylinders with some success.
Ultimately it's the motor though usually.

The typical latch problem I've heard of is that it won't lock the trunk winter.
You can tell if that's happening by just trying to lift the lid without "opening" it - if it lifts right up the latch mech needs to be replaced.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

this is the same problem even i am facing but of no use.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Trunk Release Issues

Thanks for the advice guys.

Took the car to the dealership today. They told me that the trunk hinges were binding and that was what was causing the issues, that they had to order the hinges and then have them painted the correct color for my car for installation.... they did say the issue was covered under the factory warranty.

Not sure about this diagnosis but I will keep you in the loop as to whether this fixes the problem (or not) once they replace the hinges...

Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 AM
1st Gear

great... will be waiting for the fix.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Trunk Release Issues Solution

I just got my car back from Audi.

The work order states that the cause was faulty hinges AND motor. So they performed a "liftgate actuator motor remove + reinstall", replaced both hinges, drive unit and a pipe (of some sort), and of course they had to paint the hinges to the color of my car. The "tech found trunk hinges and motor gear box binding."

Seems to be working fine - knock on wood!

If anyone needs the specific Audi part numbers let me know.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
1st Gear
Default thank god-warranty

glad that was covered! stealers with slow sales add xtra unnecessary work, as long as it was no cost, good for you!!