Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

06 A8 Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM
1st Gear
Default 06 A8 Brake Pads

I am getting ready to replace the brakes pads on 06 A8. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on alternative pads to the ones from the dealer? Also i tried searching for a DIY write on replacing the pads, has anyone on here done them before and would like to share the directions? thanks

I have seen alternatives such as NPN, EBC, Centric, Akebono, Jurid....

Last edited by jamm220; 01-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

I used EBC red with Centric Discs/rotors. Fronts is easy, the rear you need the software to deactivate the handbrake and re-calibrate it after pads are in.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jamm220
I am getting ready to replace the brakes pads on 06 A8. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on alternative pads to the ones from the dealer? Also i tried searching for a DIY write on replacing the pads, has anyone on here done them before and would like to share the directions? thanks

I have seen alternatives such as NPN, EBC, Centric, Akebono, Jurid....
If you decide to go with OEM pads let me know!!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

I used the EBC Red Stuff, and I couldn't be happier. There is FAR less dust than the factory pads. And I do mean FAR less!

They do a great job of stopping these large beasts too. I wasn't unhappy with my factory pads, but I'm thrilled with the Red Stuff.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grease
I used EBC red with Centric Discs/rotors. Fronts is easy, the rear you need the software to deactivate the handbrake and re-calibrate it after pads are in.
I think ill get the EBC as well because the oem gives off way too much and its pain in the A cleaning the wheels. Are there any issues with brake noise/squealing with the EBC? I think ill go ahead and do the fronts myself and have the rears done by a INDY.

How hard were the fronts to do? Thanks

Last edited by jamm220; 01-20-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Just did rears, getting ready to do fronts using HAWK HPS pads

I've got an '06 as well. I did my rear pads and rotors about 2 months ago and am getting ready to do the fronts. For the rears, I used the Audi pads but for the fronts I chose the HAWK HPS pads from Andrew Racing | Performance Bakes | Brake Optimization part #HB687F.650...$114 shipped.

If you're looking to replace the rotors, I used and would highly recommend the Winhere brand...great, great quality and very inexpensive. I think the rears were ~$27/ea and fronts were ~$24 or something like that. Got them at Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts AutoPartsWarehouse. Winhere is an OEM supplier and the rotors look OEM and so far the rears are performing like OEM...I'll let you know how the fronts work out once I get them installed.

The fronts look easy to do...for the rears, you do need the VAG-COM to release the electro-hydraulic parking brake and to set the pad thickness when done.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gigitty
I've got an '06 as well. I did my rear pads and rotors about 2 months ago and am getting ready to do the fronts. For the rears, I used the Audi pads but for the fronts I chose the HAWK HPS pads from Andrew Racing | Performance Bakes | Brake Optimization part #HB687F.650...$114 shipped.

If you're looking to replace the rotors, I used and would highly recommend the Winhere brand...great, great quality and very inexpensive. I think the rears were ~$27/ea and fronts were ~$24 or something like that. Got them at Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts AutoPartsWarehouse. Winhere is an OEM supplier and the rotors look OEM and so far the rears are performing like OEM...I'll let you know how the fronts work out once I get them installed.

The fronts look easy to do...for the rears, you do need the VAG-COM to release the electro-hydraulic parking brake and to set the pad thickness when done.
Great info man thanks a lot i saw the Winhere rotors and based on the prices i was kinda iffy but now that I know someone else running them and vouch for the quality Ill got ahead and get those as well. Thanks man let the weekend project begin

Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Gigitty

Questions did you get the Winhere front rotors as well? I wasn't able to find them on the site. Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

ok, sorry, the fronts were $64.97/ea and I got them from www.autopartswarehouse.com type "Winhere W0133-1762857" into the search box.

they are now $60.95.

The $24 ones were for my sienna.

Last edited by Gigitty; 01-30-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grease
Did the EBC came with the pad sensors?

Quick Reply: 06 A8 Brake Pads