Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Water is leaking into the vents

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Water is leaking into the vents

My sister owns a 2001 A8L. When it rains or when she goes through the car wash the vents in the backseat fill up with water and then the front console vents fill up. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be or better yet what the fix is?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Water is leaking into the vents

Look for stains on the pillars. Its probably a bad sunroof drain, in which case the headliner would have to come out to fix it. They usually leak right at the connection to the sunroof track.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

She suspected that it might be her solar sunroof. We’ll take a look to see if there are stains on it or not. Thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

The more I read about this car, the more I think I better get something else.
Too bad....I really like the looks.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: gmund

Compared to what? You think an audi A8 has issues, go tothe mercedes forums.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM

I had the same problem with my car. It is not a big issue but you have to spend some time on it first most important step is take of the sides on the column between passenger and driver (that part which you as a driver hitting when you step on gas) just under those covers will be RED drain you have to clean the up and do something so it will never lock again, you can only cut that little cross on the end but you can’t cut this drain in half because water will go inside your car of course. After you finish do this part on both sides open hood and check if there is a water in vent section right next to steering column, there also is a fuse box wit big sings NO WATER or something like that. If you have a water that’s a bigger problem and I'm sure you have it. What you will have to do is lift you car and do it from under it. You need a lot of light, you will look under for the same red drain bur at list 4 times bigger I cant easy describe how find it. I think is just under that vent when you lock from top. There will be two other small drains around front wheels lock for them and clean them up. Have fun an remember to dry the carpets inside the car otherwise they will stink as hell. You can write me an email tell me how it goes.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: gmund

Compared to what? You think an audi A8 has issues, go tothe mercedes forums.
Compared to my 10 year old Acura RL that has given me one problem since owning it. ABS rear wheel module/sensors replaced.

I really wanted and A8L, but the more I think about it, the better off I may be with getting another ACURA.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Site Moderator

Im not gonna lie Acuras have much less problems than audi's, but on that thought the 05+ A8 really hasn't had any problems besides minor electrical things that most cars get.
Now the 04 A8 is where you are finding all of your problems because that was the first year audi threw MMI and all these other fiber optic wiring into these cars. Plus there were minor problems just getting the oil filter out because there wasa damn metal pipe over it, now there is a rubber hose. So what im saying is the 05+ A8 has a lot more quality.
Plus our engines are just as reliable as Acuras, if not better. I've seen older audi's with over 500,000 miles on the clock without a re-build, don't know of too many hondas that can make that claim, maybe 300,000 miles if taken care of correctly.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

Im not gonna lie Acuras have much less problems than audi's, but on that thought the 05+ A8 really hasn't had any problems besides minor electrical things that most cars get.
Now the 04 A8 is where you are finding all of your problems because that was the first year audi threw MMI and all these other fiber optic wiring into these cars. Plus there were minor problems just getting the oil filter out because there wasa damn metal pipe over it, now there is a rubber hose. So what im saying is the 05+ A8 has a lot more quality.
Plus our engines are just as reliable as Acuras, if not better. I've seen older audi's with over 500,000 miles on the clock without a re-build, don't know of too many hondas that can make that claim, maybe 300,000 miles if taken care of correctly.
Now you got me back on the bandwagon......

I'll keep an eye on posts about 05 and later models. I really do love the exterior, interior and everything about the A8L and if I got one, it would be new so your comments puts my mind at ease. Besides, I'm leaning towards leasing it first and if I have too many headaches I guess I can walk away.

Thanks for your input!

Cesar

Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Site Moderator

Leasing the car is very smart in my opinion, some of the most successful and rich people in the US lease their vehicles. There are WAY too many componets that can wear out after 60K miles of abuse on these cars now a days. Even Robert Redford (actor/director)who takes his audi allroad to our dealership leases his cars. The drummer of Papa Roach (rock band) leases his A8, i worked on his 04 several times, for stupid problems like the MMI sticking, and control arm bushings wearing out too fast. Probably because he drives like an idiot but hey.....
The moral of the story is, if the car cost more than $40k, leasing it is the best way to go.