Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Anybody burning Oil on 2.0T engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 AM
1st Gear

Haven't been on here in a while but when I got an email notice of an update came to see what it was...

This and the carbon build up is exactly why we traded our Q5 in on an explorer sport...

Once we ran out of the free maintenance, I could not justify the cost projections of periodic tear downs for carbon cleaning, etc...

While we liked the Q5 a lot ( beautiful car and great handling) it just did not rise up to offset the problem with direct injection.... and the wife likes the sport even better than the Q - sorry

While the 365hp sport has direct injection as well, hopefully, the newer model years have resolved it, but in any case, I'll just keep trading and for $15k or more less

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-11-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

You may want to contact the dealer if you haven't done so already. My 2010 a4 is out of warranty, but when I started asking around I was lead to the dealer for an oil consumption test. Right now, I have to add oil with almost every tank of gas, since that is about how often the oil light comes on. It didn't used to be that bad, but continually got worse. I was told at the dealer that the pistons were made out of tolerance (too small) and they leak oil in. Apparently this dealer keeps pistons in stock to change them out. When my oil consumption test failed (obviously) he made an appointment for me for a month and a half away. A little taken aback by the time frame, he said, "I can only do so many of these a week".

this is being done at no charge to me. Except for the insane quantities of oil!!!! FYI - I read somewhere that 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles is passing.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

Check google there's was a class action lawsuit with the 2009-2011 caeb motor which is the 2.0l turbo motor about oil compustion problem. Last I know Audi will do a ring job on piston but I have seen this doesn't fix the problem after maybe 20-30k oil consumption start happening again.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:22 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation

NEWS FLASH! I started burning more oil (qt every thousand miles) and I called Audi customer care. They were GREAT! I had 85,000 and they ran an oil consumption test and said it was excessive. They replaced my pistons, rods and honed the cylinder for no charge and even replaced my plugs as they were fouling. I heard there is a class action suit being filed on the 2.0T engines but Audi fixed mine without a haggle at all. That is why I own an Audi, if something really goes wrong they stand behind it. Oh, they rented me a car for a week while they did the work too!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

Just to update... Went in for the scheduled piston change, was given a rental. Came back to pick up the car... Found out they replaced the engine! (Due to the severe amount of scoring in the cylinders) Total bill was over 10k - and Audi footed the whole bill. Yes there is a class action lawsuit, I did receive papers afterwards. When I dropped off the Audi for the work to be done, the guy went to look for my paperwork, pulled out a thick stack of papers... I asked, are those all piston changes? He said, yes - well, most of them. How many years were affected? 09, 10,11, and most of 12. All in all, Audi was great at handling the problem.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

My Audi q5 is burning more oil than ever, seems like it uses more oil than gas! At least a quart every 600 miles. They checked it awhile back and said nothing was wrong so I think it's time to bring it back. Before it was using a quart about every 2000 miles. After reading all your post I will call them tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:33 PM
1st Gear
Default I've had the piston rings fixed on my Q5 2.0T.

Same experience here on my 2011 Q5 2.0T. Started burning oil, a little at first, then a lot. Replaced the PCV valve at no charge to me. Continued to consume oil. Performed an oil consumption test and failed. Engine almost at 100k miles by then. Changed out piston rings for free, and performed other maintenance as well. My dealership also offered a loaner car for a week.

Cannot say enough good words about the way Audi has treated those of us having these issues. My single complaint is that I wish they would have notified every owner of this issue upfront, so that folks didn't have to rely on their dealerships being really honest about it, or resorting to reading about the problem on forums.

Other than that, kudos to Audi for acknowledging their manufacturing error and fixing it at their own expense!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

My wife has a 2013 Q5 with 32K miles. For the first time last month, the oil warning light came on to add a quart. I have to say this is the first time ive added a quart of oil to any car between oil changes which are done every 6K. This car is about 2K miles outside its normal oil change. Ironically, consumer reports this month ran a story about how more cars are burning more oil between changes. They listed all the cars in the order in which they burn oil and the Q5 was up there in the top 5 that burn oil and must have a court added. Since reading the article, it put me at ease, that it is quite normal. Im sure if you google the article and CR you will find it.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

I have a Q5 2.0T and it uses just as much oil as gas! I have to add 1/2 quart every 400-600 miles. Terrible for the amount of money you pay for this automobile.. When I called the dealership they said I had to wait till the light comes on before they can do an oil consumption on it. I live 60-70 miles from the dealership so if I have to drive it there at that time I am sure the engine would burn up. Was told to get it towed there when the light comes on, at my cost for towing...It's a joke, not to mention it is out of warranty :-( The sad thing is I have always told them about the oil consumption and was always told it was normal for it to burn that much oil. I think it's about time to trade it in for something else.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Just bought Q5 2009/10

I recently purchased Audi Q5 from Carsales private sale.

Upon having it around 1 month now I have gone through 4 litres of oil in less that 2000km. Their is a strong smell of engine fumes when the AC is on and you can see the oil spitting from the muffler like spray paint when idling. I feel decieved from the seller and what makes things worse is Audi comments that this is normal. This vehicle has been serviced consistently and has started to become a headache for me because of how costly it is to run. I need to take it to a decent mechanic near brisbane area or near Gold Coast.

Quick Reply: Anybody burning Oil on 2.0T engine?