Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

X5 vs Q5

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default X5 vs Q5

First off... YES i know the comparison should be X5 vs Q7 and X3 vs Q5. But the comparison in this case is X5 and Q5.

I'm a LONG TIME BMW owner as were my parents, so its in my blood. When looking for a new addition to our garage, I was very adamant about the X5. However the wife is completely sold on the Q5. I'm trying to understand her preference and its just not happening. I'm hoping that this board will help me see the advantages of going Q5 instead of the X5.

I'm looking for some real help here so it would be great if we could keep the hate mongering to a minimum.

So what are your thoughts? Why did you go Q5 instead of something else?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

anyone? anyone? Bueller?

really I'd like to hear why you picked the Q5 over other options available and if you did consider the X5 why you went towards the Q5 instead.
Thanks for your reply

Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

this is not a complete answer, but the X has run flat tires and the Q doesn't.

That being said, I'm only a "future" Q5 owner. My ship hasn't QUITE come in yet, but it will soon.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

We went from a Porsche Cayenne S to an Audi SQ5 as my wife's daily driver. We looked at a new X3 as well as a new Cayenne S, and we considered ordering a Macan.

In our case, we didn't need a car as large as the Cayenne or the X5. In terms of practical day-to-day use, the SQ5 isn't that much smaller than the first generation Cayenne. We didn't need a third row seating option.

I found the BMW to be nicer than I expected. The interior seemed a bit more luxurious than the Q5's interior. That being said, I prefer the simple, logical layout of the Audi.

I think either one would be a great choice. You should drive both. For X5 money, you can get into a well-equipped SQ5.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

gem, do you want a wife or a car?

Try asking HER why she prefers the Audi.

Perhaps she's simply heard the guys on Top Gear call the X5 a miserable excuse for a BMW one too many times. That's not bashing--bashing is literally when I get into my friend's X3 and my knee breaks off the cupholder that folds out of the air vent. There are some really foolish petty design choices they made in those cars. And, it went back to the dealer for squeaks and rattles about three times. Audi, also suffers from some odd engineering but at least I haven't had squeaks and rattles.

BMW also has come down, very much down, in every reliability survey in the last few years, while Audi has (knock wood) gone up.

Still, if it is to be her car, it is her choice, even if the reason is just because the makeup mirrors are positioned better for her.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 PM
1st Gear

Good points all around guys. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Just sold my 2012 X5 and bought a 2014 Q5 TDI; couldn't be happier. Very good decision I do not regret.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Runflat tires

Three words to ignore X5 - Run Flat Tires.
I have moved from a long-time BMW owner to Audi mainly for this reason.
ALL BMWs in Australia come ONLY with run-flats. Useless in our wide outback.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

Agreed. Run flats are a good idea but the sacrifice you take in ride quality, grip, and price is not worth it. Learn how to change a tire or have a few friends on speed dial.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

"Useless in our wide outback."
There's a lesson to be learned from the old Landrover. The joke used to be that you could have your Landrover repaired in less than a week, no matter where you were. Even in downtown London.

However, the manuals did also instruct the owner on how to improvise a head gasket from a fresh antelope hide, just in case you were a bit further from your local dealership, and had no shortwave transmitter in your party.

Landrover held their customers in slightly higher regard than BMW or Audi does.
"That is not our antelope! You have voided your warranty!"

Search this Thread