Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Audi Q7 Premature and excessive Tyre Wear

Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down Audi Q7 Premature and excessive Tyre Wear

I purchased a brand new 2011 (MY12) Audi Q7 10 months ago. It has just done 12,000km. My wife drives the car with 3 kids therefore the car is being driven conseratively. Tyre pressures are constantly monitored.

My front tyres both need replacement already as the outer edges are fully worn / bald. Both the dealer and Audi Australia have been very unhelpful and do not want to acknowledge this. This does breach Section 54 of Australian Consumer Law regarding Acceptable Quality as to have to replace Tyres after 12,000km is totally unreasonable. I do intend pursuing this further. This is a prevalent issue with the Q7 which is a known issue since the Q7 was first released in 2004/2005 and is not disclosed at time of purchase. I suggest you think long and hard about purchasing this vehicle. You just have to do a google search on Audi Q7 tyre wear to see how much of a problem this is - Buyer beware !!!

I would be happy to hear from anyone else who has had similar tyre wear issues with the Q7 - Please post a message

Last edited by Aaron (Berwick Victoria); 11-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Q7 excessive tire wear.

Hi Aaron,

We live in Agoura Hills, CA and drive to Jackson Hole, Wyoming two or three time a year. This is a 2,500 mile roundtrip. We virtually use the car for this purpose only (we have two other vehicles we use for driving around town). Like you we carefully monitor our tire pressure all the time (I have my own compressor in my garage and top off my tires whenever needed), especially before we take the Q7, model year 2011, on the road to Jackson Hole. Thus, there is virtually no city driving involved. The tires that came on the car were made by Pirelli. They lasted about 20,000 under these conditions - highway driving only. The tires wore fairly evenly but like you I was shocked that under these "ideal driving conditions" the tires went away within 20,000 miles.

The Q7 TDI shines as far as mileage is concerned on the US highways at about 75mph to 80mph the Q7 TDI averages 28 to 29 mpg.

I also discovered another deplorable weakness on the Q7. The doors do not have an "over-travel restricter" to prevent the door to open too far. When we had about 2,000 miles on the car we stopped at a gas station on our way home from Jackson Hole on a windy day. We stopped at a gas station on a perfectly "level" piece of ground and when I opened the driver's door the wind (I estimate at 25 to 30mph) ripped the door out of my hand and crumpled the paper-thin door. Over the past 40 years all I drove were Mercedes Benz products and each and every one of them had an "over-travel restrictor" (a bracket) between the top and bottom hinge to keep the door from opening (traveling) too far, thus preventing it from getting damaged. I can't imagine what the Audi engineers were thinking when they designed this car without such a safety devise.

Be careful when you open the doors on an Audi in a breeze and watch other people or children from opening the doors too hard. Definitely do not open the doors when the car is resting on a a roadway where the car is tilting to one side or the other "OPEN ON FLAT PIECE OF GROUND ONLY and on a CALM DAY!"

Regards,

Guenther

Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Just bought 2015 Q7 in October of 2014. S-Line Sport Plus with 21" wheel package. Front tires are worn out and we only have 7200 miles on them. Same as you, my wife drives this car with 3 kids doing normal parent things weekly. Audi said this is expected because of the weight of the car. Sounds like bullsh*t. I have wheel and tire warranty, so I am going to see if it is covered. If not, looks like I'm gonna have to damage the tire on purpose. Tires are almost $500 each...don't feel like spending $1000 to $2000 every year on new tires. I know what you went through.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down Q7 Eat Tires

I just purchased my 2014 Q7 in July of 2014 and have just over 25k miles on it. I travel quite a bit and purchased the TDI for its milage a quatro all whell drive. I do a little bit of towing of jet skis and other small trailers. I was shocked to see my right rear tire is almost bald at just over 25k miles. I watch preasure and rotate every 5k miles. My Milwaukee dealer told me Audi Q7's eat tires and I would need to talk to Audi customer service. I did so today and they told me Q7's only get 20-25k miles on new tires. They said they would do NOTHING to help me out. DO NOT BUY a Q& unless you want to spend $1,200 every 20k miles..... Bad design if you ask me.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Excessive tyre wear.

The Q7s eat tyres.

I've had a Q7 for 6 years now, and I've lost track of how many sets of tyres I've been through. I've tried all types, DUNLOP, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental and Coopers. The Coopers seemed to last a little longer. Most of them were unroadworthy by about 8000kms. I had two sets of Bridgestones on it, and the first set lasted only 6500kms.

It's a common problem with the Q7. I know a few other families in the area (Melbourne inner Eastern suburbs) who also have Q7s and they're all having the same problem.

I've lost patience with it as there's no point continuing to spend money on a car that clearly has a terrible design flaw. I'm in the process of getting rid of both of my AUDIs and I'm unlikely ever buy one again.

I strongly recommend against buying an AUDI Q7 if maintenance cost is important to you.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Damn, below is what I am posting around on facebook to get sorted.

Does anyone know the best place for wheel alignment for European SUV in Auckland? Done alignment 2 time for the last 10 month, but still having too much wears especially on left front and rear tyres. The one in first alignment place said its caused by camber and caster and asked me to get them done from authorised service provider. I then did with giltrap but still had the same problem. Before i went to audi, i asked one staff about this and she said thats normal as my car is very heavy, but told me the average is upto 25,000km with new tyres. I only drove several thousands KMs after that,(still not at 15,000km) but the tread is almost gone already, actually a lot faster than before the alignment with giltrap. Each tyre costs me about $750, and certainly dont want to change them every year. Please refer me a very best one to get This done.
Thanks in advance

All these guys above had same as Im having now. Had anybody found the causes and sorted out?

Last edited by Yong Kim; 06-12-2015 at 09:23 AM.