Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 Brake Controller Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
1st Gear
Default 2014 Q5 TDI electric brake issues

I have been trying to get an electric brake set up for my trailer. Two trailer installation businesses say they can't do it on this vehicle. I called Audi Service and Parts. They say it requires an electric brake recognition module, in addition to the controller module. The parts are "not even available in the US and would have to be ordered from Germany." The cost is just north of $1200 for installation and parts. The Q5 already has the original factory hitch and wiring harness installed.

I would have appreciated it, upon purchase, if I knew this was required. It looks like a very technical issue. Just hard to believe this is not an option easily available from the Audi Service department and part of the new vehicle introduction. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Details of ponch's zero cut install

Originally Posted by Ponch
Here are some pics of my mount both with and without the controller attached,

the reason I wanted this is I didn't want to damage the car and I don't keep the controller on all the time, only when needed.

Sorry about the poor quality pics ... if anyone is interested in the way I did this, I can take better or more detailed ones.

Cost of connections, $0.60
I painted it flat black for looks. $12 in paint
and I had liquid plastic to secure the second part to my break controller. $0.00
Oh and I also wired a computer power supply male/female connector (taken out of a dead computer) for easy connection ... seen in the last pic. $0.00

the wire running across from left to right if my dash cam power cord. Still need to wire that thing in also.
Ponch, do you have more pics of how you made the bracket work on the install? I know this is old but I'm going through the same on a 2011 q7 and don't want to drill holes. I got the dash apart and I recognize those slide brackets as the flush mirror brackets you can get at hardware stores (super cheap on Amazon) but where / how did you attach the base to the dash?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

Hi Ponch. Do you have a section number for the female connector. How could they have been able to they know not you the one that fit the male?

Old 01-01-2017, 01:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Part number for under-dash connector

Originally Posted by anzael
Hi Ponch. Do you have a section number for the female connector. How could they have been able to they know not you the one that fit the male?
I'm not sure this will be correct for you, but the Tech Service Bulletin 2012975 shows many of the details of the wiring harness for a Q7. It says that the one under the dash is 1J0-972-772 and the mate that you need is 1J0-972-782.

Now my question: has anyone found a ready-made connector for the Tekonsha P3 to this connector on the 2017 Q7? I found a hand-fabricated one on ebay that is for a Toureg and probably will work. It has a relay that the Toureg needed, making me a bit uncertain if it will work for my Q7.

Attached Files
Old 01-20-2017, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chebu70
Ponch, do you have more pics of how you made the bracket work on the install? I know this is old but I'm going through the same on a 2011 q7 and don't want to drill holes. I got the dash apart and I recognize those slide brackets as the flush mirror brackets you can get at hardware stores (super cheap on Amazon) but where / how did you attach the base to the dash?
I am also looking for a detachable installation on my Q7. Can you share what parts you used if you made it work?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes!!! I found a ready-made harness on e-Bay today which plugs directly into Tekonsha brake controllers for the 2017 Audi Q7 with factory tow package as well as older models.
I know this harness is correct because I found the factory harness plug under the Q7 dash, and the connector is the same type (rectangular, 4 wire, Audi has used the same brake control harness for many years). The other end of the harness is the standard plug for Tekonsha brake controllers.

e-Bay has two harnesses:
1) Harness for use with Tekonsha Primus or P2 brake controllers at this link: VW Touareg Plug and Play Trailer Brake Control Harness Audi Q7 Porsche Cayenne | eBay
2) Harness for use with Tekonsha P3 brake controller is same as above, but also includes a relay which is recommended for the P3 controller installed in Audi / VW:
VW Touareg Plug and Play Trailer Brake Controller Harness Audi Q7 Porsche Cayenn | eBay

I just ordered the 2nd harness because I am purchasing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller

Old 01-24-2017, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

This will be very useful to me! Thank you for your posts!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Snowbird22
2) Harness for use with Tekonsha P3 brake controller is same as above, but also includes a relay which is recommended for the P3 controller installed in Audi / VW:
VW Touareg Plug and Play Trailer Brake Controller Harness Audi Q7 Porsche Cayenn | eBay

I just ordered the 2nd harness because I am purchasing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller
Have you confirmed the relay is really needed for Q7?

Any idea on the parts for detachable mount mentioned earlier?

Old 01-24-2017, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if the relay is really needed for late model Q7's. There was a Tekonsha Tech Bulletin (TB0021 dated Jan. 2009) that confirmed the relay is needed for P3's installed in 2005-2008 VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne. Even if the relay isn't needed, I suspect it will work either way, so I went ahead and ordered it with the relay. The eBay website lists which vehicles should use either of their 2 harnesses, and the harness with the relay is recommended for Q7.

As far as mounting the brake controller, yes, I am going to drill 2 small holes on the underside of the dash to attach the controller bracket. The holes will not be visible unless you get upside down under the dash. No one will ever notice if the brake controller is unplugged and removed at some future date. The harness can be tucked back up underneath the dash. No one will notice, no harm done.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Snowbird22
I don't know if the relay is really needed for late model Q7's. There was a Tekonsha Tech Bulletin (TB0021 dated Jan. 2009) that confirmed the relay is needed for P3's installed in 2005-2008 VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne. Even if the relay isn't needed, I suspect it will work either way, so I went ahead and ordered it with the relay. The eBay website lists which vehicles should use either of their 2 harnesses, and the harness with the relay is recommended for Q7.

As far as mounting the brake controller, yes, I am going to drill 2 small holes on the underside of the dash to attach the controller bracket. The holes will not be visible unless you get upside down under the dash. No one will ever notice if the brake controller is unplugged and removed at some future date. The harness can be tucked back up underneath the dash. No one will notice, no harm done.
Yeah, I also read the old tech bulletin. I am a little bit paranoid about the relay if it is not absolutely needed. To me, it is another possibility of failure. If it fails, I will lose the brake on the trailer.

I checked my Q7 and the best location may be above my right knee. It will be mounted to the leather covered dash knee panel. I don't tow anything most of time and will hate to leave holes there. If mounting it lower to the plastic under dash panel cover, I am not sure if it would be too low.

Can you post some pictures after you mount the brake controller?

Quick Reply: Q7 Brake Controller Install