Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 electric brake controller - not working

Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Q7 electric brake controller - not working

Has anyone had an electric brake controller fitted to a Q7 ?. Today I had an Auto Electrician install a brake controller and they are not able to get any signal from the red wire that sends the signal.

I found information on a forum where it explained that the wiring for a controller is already installed in the car. There is a four pin plug under the dash that the controller plugs into (Tekonsha) and that was found and they plugged into that. There is also a two wire connection in the back spare wheel well area with red and blue wire and that is often not plugged together so checked and that is fine.

The Auto Electrician tried to speak to Audi Australia but they did not want to know about it so no help there.

Anyone have any suggestions of what else to look for ?. I have a new caravan to pick up in two days and it has electric brakes

edit: checked with Auto electrician this morning and they have power in the blue cable in the wheel well but not getting a brake signal back to the controller. Wondering if you need to plug the trailer in to test properly as a) maybe the computer needs to know a trailer is connected for it to recognize a signal and b) the other option is that the circuit is only complete when the trailer is plugged in as the brake lights on the trailer complete the circuit.

Edit 2: Today plugged Caravan in at the dealers and the controller showed a green light indicating that it was working. Using the slide function on the controller applies the brakes (hard actually) however when you use the brake pedal the light changes from green to red briefly before light goes out. Brakes do not work and when you release the pedal the green light comes back on. It appears that it is earthing somewhere and there is also a light warning on the dash indicating something is amiss. All lights on the caravan work fine so either there is a wiring issue with the controller or the controller is faulty. At least we seem to be getting somewhere now.

Edit 3: Well still no joy and frankly the Audi dealerships in Australia are pretty much useless and don't want to help at all. The dealership that installed the tow bar and did the wiring have not got something right as when you hook the caravan up the LED lights on the van all have a faint blinking happening even though the lights are off on the car and the keys out of the ignition. The Auto Electrician is getting no help from Audi so the next plan is to run a new wire from the back of the car forward to the brake controller. No faith that will work either. . Before they do anything I want them to try a new controller to see if the one they have installed is a dud. The blinking lights I can live with for now just as long as I get the brake controller to work. So three days time I will know if running a wire forward works or the controller is stuffed and needs replacement.

Kym

Last edited by kymjon; 04-09-2011 at 04:21 AM.