Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Remote Car starter for Q7

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Hey Sshah,
You're looking to start it while not being in it, like with remote start, yes? Just wanted to clarify.

From what I'm seeing right now the firmware to integrate with the 2014 hasn't been released yet. Looks to be the same body/interior style for the most part, and the firmware for a 2013 miiiight work, but I may drop Directed a line to see what they know of it thus far.

That being said, if the '13 firmware work, or when a '14 firmware releases, what state/ area are you in? I can help network you with someone hopefully.

It'd be even better if you were in WI since I've had like 4 people want one installed in their Q7 this winter.. but no one even seems to want to make the drive to central WI. I'm on Q7 withdrawal.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

I was told by the dealership that if they installed the remote start, it would void all warranty on the vehicle. This is because the rule in Europe is, you cannot have a car running without the driver's seat being occupied. Did they change that rule? I really don't want to void my warranty.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

Look into the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, that's always been the one BestBuy uses when a dealership tries to (falsely) void the warranty. Obviously if it's improperly installed, yes, voiding the warranty is justifiable. But if you have a remote start and say, the engine blows, there's no grounds to not cover that, totally different.

What you mentioned is indeed law, from what I know, that's the reason the Eurolux cars don't offer / come with remote start.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

I just install a Directed Electronics Remotestart (4x10 remotestart, 556u bypass using the valet key and VSM200 Smartstart) in the wife's Q7. Works flawless.

If the install does not ruin the integrity of the vehicle the factory warranty is still good. If the install damages the vehicle in anyway, the factory warranty does not cover this. This is something you will have to pay out of pocket. The factory warranty will still be good for the remainder of the term. The repaired components will not be covered by this warranty. They will have a 12 month / 12000 mile warranty or whatever the dealerships terms are.

With this said, I would shop around for a shop that deals with high end vehicles and has many years of experience. I would stay away from the shops that employee 16-20 yr olds that are fresh in the business and that are working on this caliber of vehicle for the 1st time. I have been installing mobile electronics since the early 90's and have seen my share of horrors. Most can hook up a radio, amp and speakers. Many of them do not understand how and why the vehicle electronics are built the way they are.

Most dealership will sell you aftermarket accessories but not install them. They will charge you a huge markup and send it down the street to the shop on the corner. If you were to go to the same shop, you will get the same accessory for a fraction of the cost. I have seen a lot of people go through the dealership because they thought the dealership was doing the install and trusted them over the shop on the corner.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Zfire1907
I just install a Directed Electronics Remotestart (4x10 remotestart, 556u bypass using the valet key and VSM200 Smartstart) in the wife's Q7. Works flawless.

If the install does not ruin the integrity of the vehicle the factory warranty is still good. If the install damages the vehicle in anyway, the factory warranty does not cover this. This is something you will have to pay out of pocket. The factory warranty will still be good for the remainder of the term. The repaired components will not be covered by this warranty. They will have a 12 month / 12000 mile warranty or whatever the dealerships terms are.

With this said, I would shop around for a shop that deals with high end vehicles and has many years of experience. I would stay away from the shops that employee 16-20 yr olds that are fresh in the business and that are working on this caliber of vehicle for the 1st time. I have been installing mobile electronics since the early 90's and have seen my share of horrors. Most can hook up a radio, amp and speakers. Many of them do not understand how and why the vehicle electronics are built the way they are.

Most dealership will sell you aftermarket accessories but not install them. They will charge you a huge markup and send it down the street to the shop on the corner. If you were to go to the same shop, you will get the same accessory for a fraction of the cost. I have seen a lot of people go through the dealership because they thought the dealership was doing the install and trusted them over the shop on the corner.
Excellent advice right here!! Good write up.

The big thing with difficult installs like this, when looking for the right shop for the job, is finding folks who know what the heck they're talking about. And be willing to listen, too, don't go in thinking *you* know more (until you talk to them and find out you really do, lol. If so, run fast out their doors.)

Old 03-09-2015, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=isaac.troseth;1488833]Excellent advice right here!! Good write up.

Honestly, This install was extremely easy one. All of 7 or 8 wires in the same location. The hardest part about this one was taking the vehicle apart for the first time. Which was not that bad. I would do this vehicle all day long for $550.
That would be the same install that I did for the wife.

4x10 main unit, VSM200 Smartstart, 556U bypass (using the valet key) and the 2-way LC3 LCD 1-mile range remote kit.

Most high-end cars are not too difficult. Just takes a level of expertise.